If making a roasted chicken is too much work for you then you will love making one in the crockpot. I like to make this shredded chicken for other recipes such as chicken fried rice or BBQ chicken stuffed baked potatoes.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $19.44 as of May 2022.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 5
Serving size: 4 ounces
Equipment needed: 1 crockpot
Total time: Between 5 and 6 hours
I like the manual control of the crockpot versus the digital ones with delayed start and timers. We have a lot of power glitches at our house and a digital crockpot will turn off instead continuing to cook when the power shuts off for a few seconds.
I usually make a large batch of a spice mix I like and then keep it in my spice pantry for the next use. I like this spice storage solution because you can custom make your own labels and the containers are the perfect size.
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $7.54 as of May 2022
lemon pepper seasoning $0.98
onion powder $0.98
garlic powder $0.98
seasoned salt $2.66
dried thyme $1.94
Total: $11.90 as of May 2022
1 - whole chicken $7.37
1 - medium onion $0.62
1 - lemon $0.66
1 - bulb of garlic $0.50
1 - fresh rosemary sprigs $2.08
1 - chicken broth 14.5 oz $0.67
|1 whole broiler/fryer chicken 3 – 1/2 pounds|
|1.5 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning|
|1/2 teaspoon onion powder|
|1/2 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt|
|1/2 teaspoon dried thyme|
|1 lemon, halved|
|2 springs fresh rosemary|
|1 small onion, halved|
|2 cloves of garlic, smashed|
|1/2 cup chicken broth|
- Using your fingers loosen the skin around the breasts, legs and thighs.
- Take half the seasoning and rub under the skin. Rub the remaining over the chicken.
- Add to the inside of the cavity:
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- Rosemary sprigs
- 1/2 the onion followed by 1/2 the lemon then smashed garlic the other 1/2 lemon and remainder 1/2 onion
- Place the chicken in the crockpot on low for 5 hours with 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- After the chicken has been cooking for 5 hours check for doneness. The chicken will be 180° F if it is not, continue to cook until done.
- Let chicken rest for 15 minutes before shredding. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 1 – Family of 4