This is a budget friendly healthy dinner that I have been making for years.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $19.52 as of June 2022.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1 ~ 1/4 cup
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet and prep bowls
Total time: 20~30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $8.04 as of June 2022
1 pound butter $3.58
olive oil $2.88
soy sauce $1.58
Total: $11.48 as of June 2022
1 - onion $0.65
1 - bulb of garlic $0.51
1 - small piece fresh gingerroot $0.50
1 - large chicken breast $6.93
1 - bag brown or white rice $0.76
1/2 dozen eggs $1.13
1 - bag frozen vegetables 12 oz $1.00
|1/2 teaspoon butter|
|1 teaspoon olive oil|
|1/2 teaspoon pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon kosher salt|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced|
|1 cup frozen vegetables|
|2 cups cooked shredded chicken|
|3 tablespoons soy sauce|
|3 cups cold cooked rice|
- Heat pan with 1/2 teaspoon of butter then add the eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Keep moving the eggs around the pan until they are scrambled then remove from the pan on a plate. Set aside.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the pan along with the diced onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Cook the onions for 3-4 minutes then add the garlic and gingerroot for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of frozen vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are heated through.
- Add the cold rice and cook for 2 – 3 minutes
- Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the soy sauce then stir to combine.
- Top the mixture with the eggs. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 1 – Family of 4