I love to pair Edamame Soup with all of my Asian entrees. Do not make this soup with regular spinach only use baby spinach. I cooked it with regular spinach and it changes the flavor of the entire soup.
I found this recipe in my Skinnytaste Cookbook. If you don’t have this cookbook buy it because it’s one of the best cookbooks I own.
Cost Per Serving $3.17 as of August 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $12.67.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $9.37.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.34.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1.5 cups
Equipment needed: 1 Dutch oven and blender
Total time: 30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry this recipe save you about $3.30.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $3.30 as of August 2022
sesame oil $1.72
soy sauce $1.58
Total: $9.37 as of August 2022
1 shallot $0.20
1 garlic bulb $0.54
32 oz chicken broth $1.33
12 oz fresh or frozen edamame $2.54
6 oz baby spinach $2.72
1 bunch scallions $0.88
light sour cream $1.16
|1 teaspoon sesame oil|
|1/4 cup shallots|
|2 garlic cloves|
|4 cups chicken broth|
|1 tablespoon soy sauce|
|12 oz fresh or frozen shelled edamame|
|3 cups baby spinach|
|cracked black pepper|
|1 tablespoon sliced scallions|
|1/4 cup crème fraiche or light sour cream|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Place Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1/4 cup shallots until the shallots are light brown.
- Add the garlic for 1 minute then add 4 cups chicken broth, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 12 oz edamame. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add 3 cups of fresh baby spinach until wilted.
- Use an immersion blender or puree soup in batches.
- Keep warm until ready to serve. Top with black pepper, scallions, and crème fraiche or sour cream. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 3