Korean Beef and Rice is a super quick dinner packed with flavor. I love the taste of ginger which is a flavor component that I did not taste until I was an adult. This recipe freezes really well.
I like to mix the rice in with the beef but you can leave it on the side if you prefer. I originally found this recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2016 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $5.09 as of July 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $20.36.
If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost you about $8.08.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.02.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Stove Top & Rice Maker
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1/2 cup beef, 2/3 cup rice
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet and rice cooker or pot to cook rice
Total time: 15 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry it will save you about $12.28.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $12.28 as of July 2022
brown sugar $1.70
ground ginger $4.44
sesame oil $3.22
soy sauce $1.58
red pepper flakes $1.34
Total: $8.08 as of July 2022
1 - pound ground beef $5.88
1 - garlic clove $0.54
1 - bunch green onion $0.88
1 - bag brown rice 16 oz $0.78
|1 pound lean ground beef|
|3 garlic cloves, minced|
|1/4 cup packed brown sugar|
|1/4 cup soy sauce|
|2 teaspoons sesame oil|
|1/4 teaspoon ground ginger|
|1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes|
|2 2/3 cups hot cooked brown rice|
|3 green onions, thinly sliced|
- Complete prep from prep tab above.
- If you have a rice maker then start equivalent of 2 ~ 2/3 cups rice. If you don’t have a rice maker then start the equivalent of 2 ~ 2/3 cups of minute rice. If you don’t like brown rice then make white rice.
- When the rice is 10 minutes from being cooked start cooking the beef. In a skillet brown the beef breaking into small pieces for about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for additional 3 – 4 minutes or until the beef is fully cooked. Drain if necessary.
- Add the sauce to the beef and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Serve with rice. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 1
Vegetable such as broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, asparagus, etc.