Spinach Chicken Penne Salad is very filling. I love pasta in salad because of the texture it adds. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2014 Annual Recipes Cookbook. I add chicken to make this a wonderful summer meal but you can easily leave it off to have a nice vegetarian meal.
Cost Per Serving $4.60 as of May 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $36.77.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $30.16.
- Cost per serving reduces to $3.77.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 8
Serving size: 1 cup pasta, 1/2 cup spinach mixture and 4 ounces of chicken
Equipment needed: 1 fry pan and 1 large pot for pasta
Total time: 35 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry there will be a savings of about $6.61.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $6.61 as of May 2022
olive oil $2.77
white wine vinegar $1.94
dijon mustard $0.92
dried oregano $0.98
Total: $30.16 as of May 2022
baby spinach 6 oz $2.73
1 - bulb of garlic $0.50
1 bunch green onions $0.88
3 medium tomatoes $1.94
1 - penne pasta 16 oz $0.92
2 pounds boneless chicken breasts $13.86
1 jar kalamata olives $2.99
feta cheese 6 oz $3.98
grated parmesan cheese 8 oz $2.36
|1 package of 16 oz whole wheat penne pasta|
|1/2 cup olive oil|
|1/2 cup white wine vinegar|
|1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese|
|1 tablespoon dijon mustard|
|2 garlic cloves|
|1 teaspoon dried oregano|
|6 oz fresh baby spinach|
|3 medium tomatoes|
|6 oz feta cheese|
|4 green onions|
|1/2 cup sliced kalamata or Greek olives|
|2 pound boneless skinless chicken|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil and cook penne to package directions
- Place the fry pan with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat (I prefer cast iron for this recipe).
- Sauté 4 pieces of chicken for 4-5 minutes per side until the chicken reaches 165° F.
- If needed add more oil and sauté the remainder of the chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 – 10 minutes
- Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water. Shake the water off as best you can.
- I like to add the pasta to a different bowl than the spinach with 1/8 cup of the vinaigrette dressing.
- Add spinach mixture, pasta, and chicken to a plate. Top with dressing. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 8