I love to pair these lettuce cups with soup. I also like to add more spice with red pepper flakes. I first found this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook but you can also find it online.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $23.37 as of August 2022.
- If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $12.42.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1/2 cup cooked rice and 1/4 of turkey mixture.
Equipment needed: Frying Pan, Rice Cooker or Pot to cook rice
Total time: 30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
There is a savings of about $10.95 if you have a stocked pantry.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $10.95 as of August 2022
red pepper flakes $1.34
soy sauce $1.58
sesame oil $3.22
thai chili sauce $1.97
Total: $12.42 as of August 2022
1 pound ground turkey $4.16
1 garlic bulb $0.54
1 celery stalk $2.36
1 fresh gingerroot $0.90
1 can sliced water chestnuts $1.08
1 pound carrots $0.98
1 bag brown rice $0.78
1 head of lettuce $1.62
|3 tablespoons soy sauce|
|2 teaspoons sugar|
|2 teaspoons sesame oil|
|1 teaspoon thai chili sauce|
|1 pound ground turkey|
|1 celery rib|
|1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot|
|1 garlic clove|
|8 oz chopped water chestnuts|
|1 medium carrot, shredded|
|2 cups brown rice|
|8 bib lettuce leaves|
- Cook rice to package directions for 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Season the turkey on each side with a sprinkle of salt and pepper then sauté turkey and celery breaking the turkey into small pieces until turkey is cooked.
- Drain turkey if needed then add garlic and ginger for 1 minute.
- Stir in soy sauce mixture and carrots with water chestnuts and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Serve turkey mixture with rice in a lettuce leaf. Split portion amongst two lettuce leaf’s. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 4 – Family of 4