Turkey Italian Stuffed Zucchini is so good that I make several variations of this dish. Sometimes I omit the turkey and substitute it with garbanzo beans. In the summer instead of baking this dish in the oven I use the grill to add some smokiness and prevent heating up the house.
I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2014 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $4.32 as of December 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $25.89.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this dish will cost about $21.89.
- Cost per serving reduces to $3.65.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Stove Top & Oven Baked
Recipe serves: 6
Serving size: 2 zucchini halves.
Equipment needed: Sauté Pan, 2 ~ 9×13 baking dishes and a large pot
Total time: 45 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry there will be a savings of about $4.00.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $4.00 as of December 2022
dried basil $1.00
dried oregano $1.00
panko bread crumbs $2.00
Total: $21.89 as of December 2022
1 - garlic bulb $0.67
1 - onion $0.78
6 medium zucchini $5.58
2 medium tomatoes $1.98
1 - pound italian turkey links $6.49
parmesan cheese $3.19
mozzarella cheese $2.22
fresh parsley $0.98
|6 med zucchini|
|1 pound italian turkey sausage links|
|2 garlic cloves|
|1 medium onion|
|2 med tomatoes|
|1 cup panko bread crumbs|
|1/3 cup parmesan cheese|
|1/3 cup fresh parsley|
|2 teaspoons oregano|
|2 teaspoons basil|
|1/2 teaspoon pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|3/4 cup mozzarella cheese|
- Complete prep from prep tab above.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil then add zucchini halves for 5 minutes. Drain or remove halves with tongs.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Meanwhile heat the 12″ skillet then add turkey, scooped zucchini pulp, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Cook the turkey breaking up into small pieces until no longer pink or the internal temp is 165°. Add the garlic for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat then add:
- chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup panko
- 1/3 parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- Spoon mixture into zucchini halves then place them in the 9×13 dishes
- Cover and bake for 15 ~ 20 minutes or zucchini is tender.
- Uncover then add mozzarella cheese evenly over zucchini and continue to bake for 5 ~ 8 minutes. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 7
Vegetables such as broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, etc.