I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook but it can also be found online. Sometimes it is hard to feed a large crowed but this dish is something that can be baked and placed in a warm oven until you are ready to serve.
I consider this comfort food. If you don’t like black beans just leave them out. If you don’t like corn tortillas then use flour. I personally don’t like the taste of corn tortillas so I substitute flour tortillas. I prefer diced tomatoes with green chilies versus stewed.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $18.47 as of June 2022.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 10
Serving size: Slice into 10 even pieces
Equipment needed: Sauté Pan and 9×13 baking pan
Total time: 1 hour
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $3.69 as of June 2022
garlic powder $0.98
ground cumin $1.73
onion powder $0.98
Total: $14.78 as of June 2022
1 - garlic bulb $0.51
1 - onion $0.65
1 - green pepper $0.78
1 - pound ground turkey $3.70
2 - cans black beans $1.56
1 - tomato sauce 15 oz $0.72
1 - can tomato and green chili $0.72
1 - jar salsa 16 oz $1.98
1 - bag corn tortillas (12), 6 inches $1.94
1 - bag shredded cheddar cheese $2.22
|1 pound ground turkey|
|1 medium green pepper, chopped|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|3 garlic cloves, minced|
|2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained|
|1 jar salsa, 16 oz|
|1 can tomato sauce, 15 oz|
|1 can diced tomato and green chili|
|1 teaspoon onion powder|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|12 corn tortillas, 6 inches|
|2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided|
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the turkey, onion, and green peppers.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat until the turkey is cooked through.
- Add the garlic for 1 minute. Drain if necessary.
- Add the spices cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add the black beans, tomato sauce, tomato and green chili, and salsa then bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Oil the 9×13 pan. Then add layers:
- 1 cup meat sauce
- 6 tortillas
- 1/2 remaining meat sauce
- 1 cup cheese
- 6 tortillas
- remaining meat sauce
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover then add remaining cheese over the top evenly. Continue to bake uncovered for 5 – 10 minutes. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 1 – Family of 4