Turkey and Beef Meat Loaf has pizzazz and is not your traditional meat loaf. I think ground turkey is really bland and needs a lot of flavor added to it.
This recipe will have 1 pound of meat leftover. It can easily be frozen or you can make my Mostaccioli with Beef and Turkey dish.
Cost Per Serving $4.03 as of May 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $24.19.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $16.70.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.78.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 6
Serving size: Slice into 6 even pieces
Equipment needed: sheet pan, cooling rack and sauté pan
Total time: 1 hr 10 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry there is a savings of about $7.49.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $7.49 as of May 2022
chili powder $0.98
ground cumin $0.98
quick cooking oats $1.76
olive oil $2.77
worcestershire sauce $1.00
Total: $16.70 as of May 2022
1 - garlic bulb $0.50
1 - onion $0.62
1 - green pepper $0.79
1 - bunch fresh parsley $0.98
1 - pound ground beef $5.62
1 pound ground turkey $3.58
1 - chipotle pepper in adobo sauce $1.37
1 - tomato sauce 8 oz $0.38
1 - plain yogurt 5.3 oz $0.38
Tip from Me
|1 large onion, chopped|
|1 green pepper, chopped|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1/2 tablespoon olive oil|
|1/3 cup quick cooking oats|
|3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese|
|1/2 cup tomato sauce|
|1/4 cup plain yogurt|
|2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced|
|2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce|
|1/2 teaspoon chili powder|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cumin|
|3/4 pound ground turkey|
|1/4 pound lean ground beef|
|1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped|
|1/4 cup tomato sauce|
|1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce|
|1/4 teaspoon chili powder|
|1/4 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Heat the skillet on medium with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Add onion and green pepper until the peppers are tender
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute then remove from heat
- Add the sautéed vegetables to the meat mixture and mix well.
- Shape the meat mixture into a even log then place the cooling rack on top of the cookie sheet. Place the log on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes then add the topping sauce evenly over the meat
- Bake for additional 15 minutes or longer until internal temperature is 165° F.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 8