This meat loaf has pizzazz and is not your traditional meat loaf. I think ground turkey is really bland and needs a lot of flavor added to it.
This recipe will have 1 pound of meat leftover. It can easily be frozen or you can make my Mostaccioli with Beef and Turkey dish.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $24.19 as of May 2022.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 6
Serving size: Slice into 6 even pieces
Equipment needed: sheet pan, cooling rack and sauté pan
Total time: 1 hr 10 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $7.49 as of May 2022
chili powder $0.98
ground cumin $0.98
quick cooking oats $1.76
olive oil $2.77
worcestershire sauce $1.00
Total: $16.70 as of May 2022
1 - garlic bulb $0.50
1 - onion $0.62
1 - green pepper $0.79
1 - bunch fresh parsley $0.98
1 - pound ground beef $5.62
1 pound ground turkey $3.58
1 - chipotle pepper in adobo sauce $1.37
1 - tomato sauce 8 oz $0.38
1 - plain yogurt 5.3 oz $0.38
|1 large onion, chopped|
|1 green pepper, chopped|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1/2 tablespoon olive oil|
|1/3 cup quick cooking oats|
|3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese|
|1/2 cup tomato sauce|
|1/4 cup plain yogurt|
|2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced|
|2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce|
|1/2 teaspoon chili powder|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cumin|
|3/4 pound ground turkey|
|1/4 pound lean ground beef|
|1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped|
|1/4 cup tomato sauce|
|1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce|
|1/4 teaspoon chili powder|
|1/4 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese|
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Heat the skillet on medium with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Add onion and green pepper until the peppers are tender
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute then remove from heat
- Add the sautéed vegetables to the meat mixture and mix well.
- Shape the meat mixture into a even log then place the cooling rack on top of the cookie sheet. Place the log on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes then add the topping sauce evenly over the meat
- Bake for additional 15 minutes or longer until internal temperature is 165° F.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 8 – Family of 4