Cauliflower and Broccoli Rice is great on the side of almost any meat. I am a huge broccoli and cauliflower lover so this side dish appears a lot in our home.
Cauliflower and Broccoli Rice can also be a light lunch with a salad and a piece of bread. I orginaly found this recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2009 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $1.98 as of November 2022
If you have zero ingredients then this recipe will cost about $15.86.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $11.38.
- Cost per serving reduces to $1.42.
I do not include salt and pepper in the cost of this recipe.
Recipe serves: 8
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Equipment needed: 1 deep fry pan with a lid
Total time: 45 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I do not include salt and pepper because I assume it is already in your pantry. If you have a fully stocked pantry you will save about $4.48.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $4.48 as of November 2022
1 pound unsalted butter $4.48
Total: $11.38 as of November 2022
1 bunch fresh parsley $0.98
1 garlic bulb $0.67
1 onion $0.60
1 pound carrots $0.98
12 ounces broccoli $1.83
12 ounces cauliflower $2.78
1 bag long grain rice $0.82
1 can chicken broth $0.72
1 block cheddar cheese $2.00
|1 medium onion|
|1 tablespoon butter|
|2 medium carrots|
|1.5 cups cauliflower|
|1.5 cups broccoli|
|1 cup long grain rice|
|2 garlic cloves|
|1.5 cups chicken broth|
|1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese|
|1 tablespoon fresh parsley|
|3/4 teaspoon salt|
|3/4 teaspoon pepper|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat then sauté onion and carrots for 10 minutes.
- Add and bring to a boil:
- 12 ounces cauliflower
- 12 ounces broccoli
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Reduce heat to medium low then cover for 20 to 25 minutes until rice is tender.
- Keep an eye on the rice. I usually check after 15 minutes to ensure there is enough liquid and the rice is not burning.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 6