Potato Stuffed Peppers is genius instead of rice. If you are not a huge fan of rice then try this wonderful substitution. This is a simple dish with very few ingredients. This is not your traditional stuffed pepper recipe.
I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2014 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $5.41 as of October 2022
The cost per serving is high because you can’t buy meat in 1/2 pound increments.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $10.82.
If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $9.82.
- Cost per serving reduces to 4.91.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Stove Top & Oven
Recipe serves: 2
Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper half
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet, 1 large pot and a bread pan
Total time: 1 hour
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry you will save about $1.00.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $1.00 as of October 2022
chili powder $1.00
Total: $9.82 as of October 2022
1 pound ground beef $5.57
2 green peppers $1.56
1 medium potato $0.69
1 cheddar cheese $2.00
Tip from Me
You can freeze 1/2 the pound of ground beef and use it in the following recipes:
|2 medium green peppers|
|1/2 pound lean ground beef|
|1 medium potato|
|1.5 teaspoons chili powder|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 teaspoon ground pepper|
|1/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese|
- Complete prep from prep tab above.
- Put on a large pot of water to boil
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cut off tops of the peppers and clean out the seeds and white parts.
- Place in boiling water for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Put the peppers in the ice water bath turning them to cool them completely.
- Take a paper towel and dry the peppers then add them to the loaf pan.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add:
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 grated potato
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the beef and potato until the beef is brown and drain.
- Add 1.5 teaspoons of chili powder then remove from heat.
- Add the beef mixture evenly into each pepper.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes
- Add 1/8 cup of cheese to each pepper and bake uncovered for 5 – 10 minutes. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 5
Vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, zucchini, squash, etc.