Mostaccioli with Beef and Turkey is great if you are feeding a large crowd and don’t want to spend a lot of money. I love serving this with homemade garlic bread.
There will be one pound of leftover meat from this recipe. I combine the remaining meat and freeze using my food saver or I make a meat loaf in the same week. Try my Turkey and Beef Meat Loaf.
Cost Per Serving $3.30 as of May 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $26.40.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $20.07.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.51.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Stove Top & Oven
Recipe serves: 8
Serving size: 1 cup
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet, 1 large pot and a 13x9x2 baking dish
Total time: 1 hour
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry there is a savings of about $6.33.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $6.33 as of May 2022
dried basil $0.98
dried oregano $0.98
Total: $20.07 as of May 2022
1 - medium onion $0.62
1 - garlic clove $0.50
1 - pound ground beef $5.62
1 - pound ground turkey $3.58
1 - penne pasta 16 oz $0.92
1 - can Italian diced tomato 14.5 oz $0.72
1 - can crushed tomatoes 15 oz $0.79
1 - can tomato paste 6 oz $0.62
1 - ricotta cheese 15 oz $2.12
1 - grated parmesan cheese 8 oz $2.36
1 - mozzarella cheese 8 oz $2.22
|16 oz uncooked penne pasta|
|1 medium onion|
|3 garlic cloves|
|14.5 oz Italian diced tomato|
|15 oz crushed tomatoes|
|1/4 pound ground turkey|
|3/4 pound ground beef|
|6 oz tomato paste|
|1 teaspoon dried oregano|
|1 teaspoon dried basil|
|1/3 cup water|
|1 1/2 mozzarella cheese|
|8 oz parmesan cheese|
|1 teaspoon marjoram|
|15 oz ricotta cheese|
- Complete prep from prep tab above.
- Put on a large pot of water to boil
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large skillet over medium heat add:
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound ground turkey
- Cook the meat and onion until the meat is brown and the onion is tender
- Drain the meat mixture
- Add the garlic for 1 minute
- Italian diced tomatoes
- crushed tomatoes
- tomato paste
- 1/3 cup water
- spice bowl of oregano, basil, salt and pepper
- Simmer covered stirring occasionally for 15 minutes
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook to package directions
- Drain pasta and coat the 13x9x2 baking dish with cooking spray or use 1/2 teaspoon of oil with a paper towel
- Assemble the baking dish spreading each ingredient evenly:
- 1 cup meat sauce
- half the penne pasta
- half of the remaining meat sauce
- ricotta cheese
- the remainder penne
- the remainder meat sauce
- sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 8