South of the Border Stuffed Peppers is full of bold flavors such as ground cumin and chili powder. I make a lot of different foods with these spices. This recipe is a perfect option for a low carb taco night.
This is a nice twist to a stuffed pepper. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Light and Tasty 2007 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $5.83 as of May 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $23.32.
If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $17.08.
- Cost per serving reduces to $4.27.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Stove Top & Oven
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 2 stuffed pepper halves
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet, 1 large pot and a 13x9x2 baking dish
Total time: 1 hour
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry you will save about $6.24.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $6.24 as of May 2022
cayenne pepper $1.76
chili powder $0.98
ground cumin $0.98
dried oregano $0.98
Total: $17.08 as of May 2022
1 - pound ground beef $5.62
1 - red pepper $1.38
1 - medium onion $0.62
1 - garlic clove $0.50
1 - pound tomatoes $1.94
4 - green peppers $3.16
1 - sour cream $1.16
1 - shredded cheddar cheese $2.22
1 - green onions $0.48
1 pound lean ground beef
2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
½ cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves
1 ¾ cups chopped seeded tomatoes
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ cup water
4 medium green peppers
2 tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions
- Complete prep from prep tab above.
- Put on a large pot of water to boil
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large skillet over medium heat add:
- 1 pound ground beef
- red pepper
- Cook the beef and vegetables until the beef is brown and the vegetables are tender
- Drain the beef vegetable mixture
- Add the garlic for 1 minute
- Add 1/2 cup tomatoes, spices and stir
- Add water, stir to combine and bring the mixture to a boil
- Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- While beef is simmering add green pepper halves to the boiling water for 4 minutes.
- Remove peppers then add to bowl of cold water and ice for 2 minutes
- Add 1/3 cup beef mixture into the pepper halves.
- Grease the pan or coat with cooking spray. Add each pepper half to the pan. Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Top each pepper with tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheese and green onions. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 8
Starches such as potatoes or rice