Roast Beef with Gravy is a traditional Sunday night meal I had as a child. This crock pot recipe is the simplest version and is packed with flavor. I use the leftover beef to to make shepherds pie, roast beef sandwiches or soup.
Cost Per Serving $3.40 as of August 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $27.17.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this dish will cost about $18.19.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.27.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Crock-Pot & Stove Top
Recipe serves: 8
Serving size: 4 oz beef
Equipment needed: 1 crockpot and skillet
Total time: 8 – 10 hours
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry you will save about $8.98.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $8.98 as of August 2022
olive oil $2.88
Total: $18.19 as of August 2022
1 bottom roast $16.51
1 box onion soup mix $1.68
|1 bottom roast 2.5 – 3 pounds|
|1.5 teaspoons olive oil|
|1 teaspoon ground black pepper|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|4 cups water|
|1 package onion soup mix|
|2 cups beef cooking liquid|
|1/4 cup flour|
|1/4 cup butter|
- Complete prep from prep tab above.
- Add 4 cups of water and the onion soup packet to the crock-pot. Mix well.
- Heat oil in sauté pan and brown meat 2 minutes per side on each side then add to the crock-pot.
- Set on low and cook for 8 – 10 hours.
- Scoop 2 cups of beef liquid from the crock-pot; set aside
- Heat 1/4 cup butter in a pan and when it is melted sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour then stir until the butter is brown.
- Slowly stir in the beef liquid and continue stirring until you reach the thickness you are looking for. It usually takes 4 -6 minutes.
- If you like smooth gravy then strain the gravy. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 2