Teriyaki Beef Stew sounds strange but it has become my favorite stew recipe. I had never heard of adding pop to a recipe before this stew. I initially thought it would make the recipe too sweet but it is really balanced.
Looking for a new stew recipe that can cook while you are at work? Look no further. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2016 Annual Recipes Cookbook. I have changed a few things but it is close to the original recipe.
Cost Per Serving $3.67 as of June 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $29.34.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this dish will cost about $21.64.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.71.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Crock-Pot & Stove Top
Recipe serves: 8
Serving size: 1 cup stew and 1/2 cup rice
Equipment needed: 1 crockpot and skillet
Total time: 6 – 8 hours
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry you will save about $7.70.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $7.70 as of June 2022
olive oil $2.88
red pepper flakes $1.34
sesame seeds $1.94
Total: $21.64 as of June 2022
2 - pounds stew meat $15.55
1 - teriyaki sauce $1.84
1 - garlic bulb $0.54
1 - bag of peas, 12 ounces $0.84
1 - bottle of ginger ale, 12 ounces $2.08
1 - bag long grain rice $0.79
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|2 pounds beef stew meat|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1 teaspoon pepper|
|1 teaspoon pepper flakes|
|12 ounces ginger ale|
|1/4 cup teriyaki sauce|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|2 tablespoons sesame seeds|
|2 tablespoons cornstarch|
|2 tablespoons cold water|
|12 oz bag peas|
|16 ounces long grain rice|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Season the beef with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the pan with 1/2 tablespoon of oil then add 1/2 the meat and brown.
- Add the browned meat to the slow cooker then add 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the pan and brown the remainder of the meat. Place the browned meat in the slow cooker.
- Coat the meat with the teriyaki mixture then cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours.
- In a small prep bowl add 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water mix really well until mixture is smooth.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the beef and stir really well. Add the peas. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. The mixture should be thickened.
- After adding the cornstarch cook 2 cups of long grain rice. Serve with the stew. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 5