I like this sloppy joe variation because it has some heat and great flavor. I like to freeze the leftovers for a quick dinner on a night that I don’t have time to cook. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook but it is also available online.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $22.21 as of September 2022.
- If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $15.03.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 6
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet and sheet pan
Total time: 25 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry you will save about $7.18.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $7.18 as of September 2022
brown sugar $1.70
yellow mustard $1.00
Total: $15.03 as of September 2022
1 pound ground beef $5.57
1 medium onion $0.78
1 green pepper $0.78
1 jalapeno pepper $0.37
1 bottle chili sauce $2.72
1 can chipotle pepper in adobo sauce $1.38
1 package hamburger buns $1.69
1 jar pickle slices $1.74
|1 pound ground beef|
|1 cup onion|
|1/2 cup green pepper|
|1 jalapeno pepper|
|1/2 cup chili sauce|
|1/2 cup water|
|1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce|
|1 tablespoon packed brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon yellow mustard|
|6 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls|
|2 tablespoons butter|
- Sauté the meat mixture over medium heat breaking the beef into small crumbles. Drain if needed.
- Add the sauce mixture to the beef then turn the heat to medium low for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Butter the inside of the hamburger buns and toast them under the broiler for 2 – 3 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Serve the beef mixture on top of the buns with pickles. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 3 – Family of 4