Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 5 will give you ideas or the exact menu and grocery list for this weeks dinners. Substitute different vegetables if you don’t like the ones I’ve selected. Also, if you don’t like some of the spices found in the recipes substitute them for ones you do like.
This weeks meals are super simple to prepare and satisfying. My favorite is the Roasted Vegetable Quesadilla and Southwest Chicken Soup. I love crock pot soups because the flavors really come together by cooking slow all day. The Roasted Vegetable Quesadilla is the perfect side to this satisfying soup.
All recipes are suggestions. I can’t remember the last time I followed a recipe exactly to how it was written. I use what I have to keep cost down. If I don’t have the pasta it calls for I just make one I do have. If I don’t have the type of beans it suggests I use ones I do have.
I prefer the taste of long grain rice, basmati rice or jasmine rice versus minute rice. I know cooking rice can sometimes be tricky but just watch your heat to water ratio and you will be just fine. I bought a rice maker and it has taken away the worry of burning rice on the stovetop and generates perfect rice every time. I highly recommend getting one if you don’t already have one.
Dinners for the week - About $98.25
Grocery List - Store brand (Metro Detroit)
Prep the week!
I like to gather my storage containers before I start my prep. I love the look of the table with all of the containers and as I make progress the containers disappear leaving me with a sense of accomplishment and encouragement to keep going. This picture is an example of one of my prep weeks.
Storage containers needed:
I like to use a sticky note or paper with a piece of tape to label my prep containers with the name of the meals.
- ¼ cup container for 12 garlic cloves; peeled
- 6 cup container for broccoli; chopped (Broccoli Turkey Sausage, Side)
- 4 cup container for carrots; sliced (Side)
- 1 cup container for 2 small onion; chopped (Broccoli Turkey Sausage, Mexicorn Chicken Rice)
- 2 cup container for cooked rice (Mexicorn Chicken Rice)
- ½ cup container for 2 green onions; chopped (Mexicorn Chicken Rice)
- 3 cup container for 1 zucchini, 1 red pepper and 1 small onion; chopped (Potato Veggie Quesadilla)
- 2 cup container for 1 medium onion and 1 medium green pepper; chopped (Southwest Chicken Soup)
Let’s start prepping!
I like to use a vegetable chopper to speed up this process.
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled; refrigerate
Broccoli Turkey Sausage with Pasta
- 1 small onion about 1/2 cup; refrigerate
- Cut broccoli into bite size pieces, refrigerate. Do not wash; refrigerate
Mexicorn Chicken Rice
- Cook 1 cup of long grain rice; refrigerate. I like to use a rice cooker.
- 1 small onion about 1/2 cup
- 2 green onions, chopped; refrigerate
Potato Veggie quesadilla
- Dice: 1 zucchini, 1 red pepper, 1 onion to the same size about ½ inch. Store in the same container; refrigerate
Southwest Chicken Soup
- Dice 1 medium onion and green pepper then place in the same container; refrigerate.
Honey Roasted Carrots
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled then sliced 3 inches long. If they are not the same diameter then cut carrot in half or quarter so they will cook evenly; refrigerate
Tips and Tricks for the weekly meals to go flawlessly!
Always start by reading the recipe all the way through then read my tips. Doing this before you start will help prevent “surprises” along the way.
If I’ve posted it then I have eaten it and called it good. Also, I know that the portions should work because I have done it. No guess work here.
Measuring out your portion might be new for you and still leave you hungry after the meal. This is normal and it will take your body time to adjust. Try these tips:
- Don’t miss your afternoon snack because being ravenous at dinner time will lead to over eating.
- Drink 8 ounces of water before you begin your meal and after you end your meal.
- Eat a salad or raw vegetables with your meal.
- Eat a piece of fruit after a meal like an apple, pear, orange, etc. This will subside the hunger and it’s good for you.
- Wait 1 hour after your meal and if you are still hungry make some pop corn.
- Prepare salad
- Measure 1 cup of white wine or chicken broth; set aside. Save extra chicken broth if using for cooking rice later in the week.
Follow recipe as directed.
**Set aside 2 servings for leftovers on Tuesday!
- Follow recipe as directed.
Serve with a side salad. Enjoy!
Set aside 2 servings for leftovers on Tuesday!
Split Sausage Orecchiette pasta between two plates then warm in the microwave.
Split Mexican Skillet Rice between two plates, wet a paper towel and squeeze dry. Place the paper towel over the plates then warm in the microwave.
Serve with side salads. Enjoy!
In the morning start the soup.
- Follow the recipe as directed.
In the evening:
- Add 1 cup mozzarella and 1 cup cheddar cheese to a container with a lid. Mix well. You will use ½ the cheese for this meal and ½ the cheese for Friday’s meal.
- Optional: There is 2 cups of unused broccoli from the prep. If you like roasted broccoli you can rinse and add it to the potato mixture along with 1/2 tablespoon oil. It adds a nice flavor to the quesadilla and uses up the remainder of the broccoli.
- Optional: You can chop 2 green onions for an additional topping.
- Optional: You can chop some fresh cilantro for an additional topping.
- Set out the non-mixed cheddar cheese cheese, sour cream and salsa for soup and quesadilla toppings. Enjoy!
** Be sure to set aside ½ the vegetable filling and 6 cups of soup for Friday night’s dinner!
In the morning
- Follow the recipe as directed to get the beef stew on to cook.
In the evening
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Cook 2 cups of rice. If you have leftover chicken broth start with this liquid then continue with water until you reach the correct amount.
- Follow the roasted carrot recipe. Enjoy!
**Be sure to save 4 servings of stew, rice, and carrots for Saturday night’s dinner.
Place soup in a pot to warm on the stove.
Meanwhile make 4 vegetable quesadilla’s to serve with the soup. Enjoy!
- Wet a paper towel and squeeze dry. Place over the stew with the rice and carrots.
- Warm in the microwave. Enjoy!