Mexicorn Chicken Rice is a strange combination of ingredients that surprisingly work. I have made this dish with chicken breasts, chicken thighs, and crockpot chicken.
I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2014 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving is $3.87 as of October
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $23.21.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $19.85.
- Cost per serving reduces to $3.31.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 6
Serving size: split among 6 plates evenly
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet and prep bowls
Total time: 30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. A fully stocked pantry will give you a savings of about $3.36.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $3.36 as of October 2022
taco seasoning $0.48
olive oil $2.88
Total: $19.85 as of October 2022
1/2 dozen eggs $1.92
1 - pound chicken tenderloins $5.72
1 onion $0.78
1 garlic bulb $0.54
1 bunch green onions $0.88
1 bunch cilantro $0.88
1 - bag long grain brown or white rice $0.82
1 can mexicorn 11 oz $2.18
1 jar taco sauce 8 oz $1.88
1 can black beans 15 oz $0.78
1 jar roasted red peppers 7 oz $3.47
|1 pound chicken tenderloin|
|1 small onion|
|1 tablespoon, plus 1/2 teaspoon olive oil|
|2 garlic cloves|
|2 cups cooked jasmine or long grain rice|
|1 can black beans 15 oz|
|1 can mexicorn 11 oz|
|1 jar taco sauce 8 oz.|
|2 green onions|
|1/2 cup fresh cilantro minced|
|1 jar roasted sweet red peppers 7oz|
|1 teaspoon taco seasoning|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon olive oil in a pan and scramble the egg. Once the eggs are set remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil stir fry chicken, onion and 1 teaspoon taco seasoning until the chicken is cooked; 165°.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in:
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can black beans
- 11 oz mexicorn
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 7 oz roasted sweet peppers
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- scrambled eggs
- Warm the mixture for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Top with 1/4 cup cilantro and chopped green onions.
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 5