Often times I make this dish with frozen pea mixed vegetables instead of fresh carrot and snow peas. I like a lot of vegetables in a stir fry. I have made this dish with both fresh ginger and ground ginger and I like it both ways. If I am in a budget pinch then I use frozen vegetables and ground ginger.
I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Light and Tasty 2005 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $5.27 as of September 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $31.64.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $15.51.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.59.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 6
Serving size: 1 cup
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet and prep bowls
Total time: 20~30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. A fully stocked pantry will give you a savings of about $16.13.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $16.13 as of September 2022
canola oil $3.67
corn starch $1.54
red pepper flakes $2.72
sesame oil $3.22
soy sauce $1.58
white vinegar $1.28
Total: $15.51 as of September 2022
1 box spaghetti noodles $0.92
1 pound chicken breast $9.05
8 oz snow peas $2.78
1 pound carrots $0.98
1 bunch green onions $0.88
1 small fresh ginger $0.90
|10 oz uncooked spaghetti|
|1 tablespoon cornstarch|
|4 tablespooons soy sauce|
|2 tablespoons sesame oil|
|1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts|
|2 tablespoons white vinegar|
|1 tablespoon sugar|
|1 tablespoon canola oil|
|2 cups fresh snow peas|
|2 cups shredded carrots|
|3 green onions|
|3/8 teaspoon ground ginger (1.5 teaspoons fresh gingerroot)|
|1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes|
- Complete prep from the prep tab above.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook 10 oz of pasta to package directions. I weigh my pasta using a kitchen scale.
- Heat pan over high heat with 1/2 tablespoon canola oil. Add chicken and stir fry until chicken reaches 165°. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon canola oil to the pan and stir fry snow peas and carrots for about 5 minutes.
- Add green onions, ginger and red pepper flakes for about 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan then add the noodles.
- Add the soy sauce mixture to the pan and stir everything together. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 3