Chicken Burrito Skillet is a great one pot meal making it a perfect weeknight meal! I am a huge fan of Burritos but know the tortilla is really not healthy. This is the perfect deconstructed burrito bringing in all the burrito flavors without the tortilla.
I like to kick up the spice in this dish by adding some pickled jalapenos. I also add 2 garlic cloves minced because I can’t help myself. I originally found this recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2017 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $4.00 as of August 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $23.99.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $16.83.
- The cost per serving reduces to $2.81.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 6
Serving size: 1 ~ 1/3 cup
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet and prep bowls
Total time: 20~30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. A fully stocked pantry will give you a savings of about $7.16.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $7.16 as of August 2022
ground chili powder $1.00
ground cumin $1.28
garlic powder $1.00
onion powder $1.00
olive oil $2.88
Total: $16.83 as of August 2022
1 bunch green onions $0.88
1 tomato $0.91
1 can black beans 15 oz $0.78
1 - bag brown or white rice $0.78
1 box chicken broth 32 oz $1.33
1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz $0.88
1 - pound chicken breast $9.05
1 bag mixed cheese 8 oz $2.22
|1 pound boneless chicken breasts|
|1/8 teaspoon salt|
|1/8 teaspoon pepper|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|1 cup uncooked long grain rice|
|1 can black beans 15 oz|
|1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2 teaspoon onion powder|
|1/2 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1/2 teaspoon chili powder|
|2 1/2 cups chicken broth|
|1 cup shredded mixed cheese|
|1 medium tomato|
|3 green onions|
- Complete prep from the prep tab above.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté chicken until brown on all sides. About 2 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil then add 1 cup of uncooked rice and sauté until brown (1 – 2 minutes).
- Stir in black beans, canned tomatoes, spices, and 2.5 cups of chicken broth.
- Place the chicken evenly on top of the rice, be sure not to mix into the rice. Cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until chicken is 165° F and rice is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle evenly with 1 cup cheese, tomatoes and green onions. Cover until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 4
Avocado, lettuce, pickled jalapeno
Vegetable such as green beans, corn, green peppers, carrots, etc.