Be careful when cooking this dish to not over cook the orzo pasta or it will become “gummy” tasting. I add rosemary to this dish to kick up the flavor.
I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook but it can also be found online.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $19.64 December as of 2022.
- If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $12.47.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1 chicken thigh and 1/4 of the pasta
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet and prep bowls
Total time: 20~30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. A fully stocked pantry will give you a savings of about $7.17.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $7.17 as of December 2022
olive oil $2.88
dried oregano $1.00
dried rosemary $3.29
Total: $12.47 as of December 2022
4 boneless chicken thighs $5.60
1 box chicken broth 14.5 oz $1.00
1 box orzo pasta $1.99
1 lemon $0.54
greek olives $3.34
|4 boneless chicken thighs|
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|14.5 oz chicken broth|
|2/3 cup whole wheat orzo pasta|
|4 lemon wedges|
|1/2 cup greek olives|
|1 tablespoon lemon juice|
|1 teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 teaspoon pepper|
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté chicken until the internal temp is 165° F. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add chicken broth to the pan; bring to boil; scraping up any brown bits from the bottom
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add:
- lemon wedges
- juiced lemon
- When pasta is fully cooked remove lemon, stir in olives and add chicken. Remove from heat. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 7 – Family of 2