Stuffed Potato with BBQ Chicken is great with any kind of potatoes. The easiest way to make this dish is with leftover chicken. I like to make this dish with leftover whole chicken.
If I don’t have leftover shredded chicken I will put chicken in the crockpot at noon with 1/2 cup of water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Turn the crockpot on low and the chicken will ready in 4 hours.
Cost Per Serving is about $ 5.26 as of May 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $21.04.
If you have a fully stocked pantry the cost of this recipe will be about $16.12.
- Cost per serving is reduced to about $4.03.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1 stuffed potato
Equipment needed: 1 small pot, mixing bowl, potato masher & sheet pan
Total time: 1 hour
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $4.92 as of June 2022
1 pound butter $3.58
1 - bbq sauce $1.34
Total: $16.12 as of June 2022
1 - pound boneless chicken breasts $6.93
1 - bag potatoes 5 Ibs $2.88
1 - can chicken broth $0.67
1 - sour cream $1.16
1 - shredded cheese $2.22
1 - green onions $0.88
1 - pickled jalapeno $1.38
|4 medium russet potatoes|
|2 cups shredded cooked chicken|
|1/2 cup chicken broth, divided|
|1 tablespoon of butter|
|1/2 teaspoon pepper|
|1/4 cup sour cream|
|1/2 cup shredded cheese|
|4 tablespoons BBQ sauce|
|1/4 cup chopped green onions|
|1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Preheat oven to 425° F
- Place 4 potatoes on a sheet pan and bake for 30 – 45 minutes until a fork can be easily inserted into the center.
- Once the potatoes are cooked and cooling add the chicken to a small pot with 1/4 cup chicken broth on low.
- Let the potatoes cool until they can be handled then make a slit across the top and scoop out all the filling of each potato into a large bowl.
- Add to the bowl then mash with potato masher until smooth:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Add the mixture back into each potato
- Top each potato with 1/2 cup chicken, 1 tablespoon bbq sauce, green onions and pickled jalapenos. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 1
Vegetables such as broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots, etc.