I like to pair this recipe with roasted potatoes and a vegetable. If we have leftovers I love making chicken salad sandwiches for lunches.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $19.44 as of May 2022.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 5
Serving size: 4 ounces
Equipment needed: 1 Roasting Pan
Total time: Between 1 and 1 ~ 1/2 hours
I recommend a 13×9 baking dish with a separate roasting rack versus a large roasting pan with roasting rack. In this recipe we are roasting a 4ish pound chicken so we want to make sure the pan is not too large to prevent the drippings from burning. If you already have a 13×9 baking dish and do not have a roasting rack I highly recommend picking one up. Elevating your chicken will allow the air to circulate under the chicken as it roasts for a tastier roasted chicken.
Storage for Spice Mixes
I usually make a large batch of a spice mix I like and then keep it in my spice pantry for the next use. I like this spice storage solution because you can custom make your own labels and the containers are the perfect size.
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $7.54 as of May 2022
lemon pepper seasoning $0.98
onion powder $0.98
garlic powder $0.98
seasoned salt $2.66
dried thyme $1.94
Total: $11.90 as of May 2022
1 - whole chicken $7.37
1 - medium onion $0.62
1 - lemon $0.66
1 - bulb of garlic $0.50
1 - fresh rosemary sprigs $2.08
1 - chicken broth 14.5 oz $0.67
|1 whole broiler/fryer chicken 3 – 1/2 pounds|
|1.5 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning|
|1/2 teaspoon onion powder|
|1/2 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt|
|1/2 teaspoon dried thyme|
|1 lemon, halved|
|2 springs fresh rosemary|
|1 small onion, halved|
|2 cloves of garlic, smashed|
|1/2 cup chicken broth|
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Using your fingers loosen the skin around the breasts, legs and thighs.
- Take half the seasoning and rub under the skin. Rub the remaining over the chicken.
- Add to the inside of the cavity:
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- Rosemary sprigs
- 1/2 the onion followed by 1/2 the lemon then smashed garlic the other 1/2 lemon and remainder 1/2 onion
- Place the chicken in the roasting pan with the breast side up.
- Baste the chicken after 30 minutes with chicken broth then every 20 minutes.
- After the chicken has been cooking for 1 hour check for doneness. The chicken will be 180° F if it is not, continue to cook until it is done.
- Let chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 1 – Family of 4