Saucy Tarragon Chicken is the perfect meal when you feel like something saucy and cheat worthy. I prefer this recipe with sherry over chicken broth because I like the flavor of sherry. If you don’t like sherry cook with the broth or you will not like this recipe.
I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Light and Tasty 2008 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving is 6.25 as of May 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $24.99.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $15.52.
- Cost per serving reduces to $3.88.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1 chicken breast, 1/4 cup sauce and 3/4 cup noodles
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet and a large pot
Total time: 40 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry there will be a savings of about $12.63.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $12.63 as of May 2022
1 pound butter $3.58
flour 5 ibs $1.56
lemon pepper seasoning $1.00
dried tarragon $4.17
Total: $15.52 as of May 2022
1 pound boneless chicken breasts $6.93
1 container mushrooms 8 oz $1.98
1 garlic bulb $0.50
1 can chicken broth $0.67
1 bag egg noodles $1.12
1 sour cream 8 oz $1.16
3 cups egg noodles
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
¾ teaspoon dried tarragon
¾ teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
4 garlic cloves
1 can chicken broth 14.5 oz
3 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
3 tablespoons flour
¼ cup sour cream
- Complete prep from prep tab above.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- Distribute the spices evenly over the chicken
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a sauté pan over medium heat
- Brown the chicken on both sides 2 -3 minutes per side then set on a plate.
- Sauté the mushrooms until they are soft then add the garlic for 1 minute
- Stir in 1 cup of broth and 3 tablespoons of sherry or broth to the mushrooms
- Add the chicken and bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat until the chicken reaches 165° about 5-10 minutes
- While chicken is simmering add 3 tablespoons of flour and the remainder of the broth to a bowl and mix well; set aside
- Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook until package directions
- Remove the chicken and place on a new plate
- Stir in the flour slurry until the mixture is thick 2- 4 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Drain the noodles
- Plate the chicken, noodles and sauce. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 8
Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, etc.