I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook but it is also available online.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $24.99 as of May 2022.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1 chicken breast, 1/4 cup sauce and 3/4 cup noodles
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet and a large pot
Total time: 40 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $12.63 as of May 2022
1 pound butter $3.58
flour 5 ibs $1.56
lemon pepper seasoning $1.00
dried tarragon $4.17
Total: $15.52 as of May 2022
1 - pound boneless chicken breasts $6.93
mushrooms 8 oz $1.98
1 - garlic bulb $0.50
1 - can chicken broth $0.67
1 - bag egg noodles $1.12
sour cream 8 oz $1.16
3 cups egg noodles
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
¾ teaspoon dried tarragon
¾ teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
4 garlic cloves
1 can chicken broth 14.5 oz
3 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
3 tablespoons flour
¼ cup sour cream
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- Distribute the spices evenly over the chicken
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a sauté pan over medium heat
- Brown the chicken on both sides 2 -3 minutes per side then set on a plate.
- Sauté the mushrooms until they are soft then add the garlic for 1 minute
- Stir in 1 cup of broth and 3 tablespoons of sherry or broth to the mushrooms
- Add the chicken and bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat until the chicken reaches 165° about 5-10 minutes
- While chicken is simmering add 3 tablespoons and the remainder of the broth to a bowl and mix well; set aside
- Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook until package directions
- Remove the chicken and place on a new plate
- Stir in the flour slurry until the mixture is thick 4- 6 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Drain the noodles
- Plate the chicken, noodles and sauce. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 8 – Family of 2