This rice dish is simple, fast and good. I have a few rice sides I turn to when I am making Mexican dishes and this is one of them.
If you have zero ingredients then this recipe will cost about $12.38 as of April 2022.
I do not include salt and pepper in the cost of this recipe.
Recipe serves: 4
Equipment needed: 1 deep fry pan with a lid
Total time: 15 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I do not include salt and pepper because I assume it is already in your pantry.
Pantry & Spices
1 pound unsalted butter $3.58
ground cumin $0.98
chicken bouillon $2.18
1 box instant brown rice 14 oz. $1.56
1 onion $0.62
1 green pepper $0.78
1 garlic bulb $0.48
1 bunch fresh cilantro $0.48
1 picante sauce 24 oz $1.72
1.5 cups uncooked instant brown rice
1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 small green pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1.5 cups water
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1.5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup picante sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet melt butter on medium low heat and sauté the rice, onion and green pepper until the vegetables are crisp tender 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the water, cilantro, cumin, bouillon and pepper then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in picante sauce.
This recipe can also be found in Menu 2 – Family of 4