This recipe is good with chicken or vegetable broth but if you want to really amp up the flavor then I highly recommend using red wine instead of broth. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook but it is also available online.
This is a great meal for feeding a lot of people that doesn’t require a lot of steps. I like that I can put this dish in the oven and then clean my kitchen before the dish is ready to eat.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $14.92 as of May 2022.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 8
Serving size: 1.5 cups
Equipment needed: 1 pot for sauce, 1 pot for pasta and a 13 X 9 baking dish
Total time: 1.5 hours
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $7.87 as of May 2022
olive oil $2.77
dried basil $0.98
cooking spray $2.00
Total: $7.05 as of May 2022
1 - medium onion $0.62
1 - bulb of garlic $0.50
2 - crushed Italian tomatoes 28 oz $2.50
1 - chicken broth 14.5 oz $0.67
1 - box ziti 16 oz $0.92
1 - bag provolone cheese $1.84
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves
2 cans Italian crushed tomatoes 28 oz
1.5 cups water
½ cup chicken broth or red wine
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 package ziti or small tube pasta
8 slices provolone cheese
- Place a pot of water on to boil for the pasta. Cook pasta to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Heat sauce pan with 1 tablespoon of oil then add onion and sauté until soft.
- Once onions are soft add garlic for 1 minute.
- Add to the onions:
- Italian tomatoes
- Measure 1.5 cups of water and place them in the tomato can swirl the water in the can then add the water to the tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup broth or wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Bring the sauce to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the cooked noodles to the sauce
- Spray the baking dish, add the noodles and sauce then bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and add 8 slices of cheese. Place the dish back in the oven and bake for 4-6 minutes. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Extreme Menu 4 – Family of 4