It’s getting to be grill season and this taco recipe is satisfyingly for a day that has been spent in the sun. I love the Taste of Home Chili Lime Mushroom Taco recipe. I made a slight variation by cooking it on the grill but you can also make it in a grill pan or sauté pan.
Grill or Stove Top
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $19.53 as of May 2022.
- If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $13.82.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 2 tacos and 1/2 cup cooked rice
Equipment needed: 1 pot for rice and a cast iron skillet or sauté pan
Total time: 30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry you will have a savings of about $5.71.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $5.71 as of May 2022
olive oil $2.77
chili powder $0.98
ground cumin $0.98
crushed red pepper flakes $0.98
Total: $13.82 as of May 2022
4 - large portobello mushrooms $4.96
1 - sweet red pepper $1.38
1 - onion $0.62
1 - bulb of garlic $0.50
2 - limes $1.44
1 package corn tortillas 6 inches $1.94
1 pound bag long grain rice $0.76
1 bag shredded pepper jack cheese $2.22
4 portobello mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion
1 medium red pepper
2 garlic cloves
1.5 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
2 tablespoons lime juice
8 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Start by getting 1 cup of long grain rice with 2 cups of water on to cook. Follow the rice package directions for cooking heat and time.
- Heat up the grill between 350° and 400°. If you are using a stove then medium high heat.
- Add the cast iron skillet to get it nice and hot. Then add the vegetables for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in the seasonings and lime juice continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Warm the tortillas.
- Place tortillas on the grill for 1 minute then turn and let cook for additional minute.
- We have a gas stove and prefer to warm the tortillas right on the grate over a medium – low flame. Be sure to turn them with tongs and not your fingers! Keep a close eye on your tortillas when warming them this way because you don’t want them to burn.
- Microwave for a few seconds.
- Andrew and I added the rice to the mushroom mixture before building our tacos and it is wonderful but you can leave it on the side if you prefer. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 3 – Family of 2