I have not yet figured out the trick to homemade pizza dough. I have tried several and they are ok but none of them are excellent. If you don’t have time to make pizza dough the local grocery usually has some in the freezer section. I get out the dough in the morning and let it rest on the counter all day. Another option is to go to your local pizza shop and see if they will sell you only the dough. Most places do for about $2.00.
If you have zero ingredients then this recipe will cost about $17.11 as of April 2022.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1/4 of the pizza
Equipment needed: 1 pizza pan/stone/sheet pan and 1 sauté pan
Total time: 30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
olive oil 17 fl oz $2.77
1 green pepper $0.78
1 bulb garlic $0.48
1 onion $0.62
1 ready to bake pizza dough $2.49
1 corn meal 5 pounds $2.36
1 jar pesto 6 oz $2.84
1 zucchini $0.81
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese $1.98
1 parmesan romano cheese $1.98
ready to bake pizza dough
corn meal about ⅛ cup
½ cup pesto
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt – about ½ teaspoon give or take
pepper about ¼ teaspoon give or take
3 garlic cloves pealed
1 green pepper, chopped ½ inch
1 zucchini, sliced ¼ inch
onion, chopped ½ inch
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese, more if needed
- Set your dough on the counter to rest
- Heat a sauté pan on medium with 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Sauté peppers, onions, garlic 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until onions are crisp tender. This will take about 4-5 minutes. Add the zucchini for 2 – 4 minutes.
- Remove garlic and throw away or you can chop and add to the pizza.
- Let mixture cool.
- Preheat oven to dough instructions
- Spread cornmeal to the bottom of the pizza pan then shape dough using your fingers. I start from the center and keeping working to the edges while spinning the dough.
- Once dough is shaped add evenly over dough:
- 1/2 cup of pesto
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Bake as directed. Lift the bottom of the pizza and to see if the bottom is brown and crisp.
This recipe can also be found in Menu 1 – Family of 2