This is a very hearty soup that makes for a satisfying dinner. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook but it is also available online.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $15.61 as of May 2022.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 8
Serving size: 1 cup
Equipment needed: 1 Dutch oven
Total time: 35 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $0.98 as of May 2022
red pepper flakes $0.98
Total: $14.63 as of May 2022
1 package Italian turkey sausage $5.24
1 - medium onion $0.62
kale 16 oz $2.98
1 - bulb of garlic $0.50
1 - chicken broth 32 oz $1.33
1 - can cannellini beans 15 oz $0.72
1 - diced tomatoes 14.5 oz $0.72
1 - bag sun-dried tomatoes not in oil $2.52
1 package Italian turkey sausage links
1 medium onion
8 cups chopped fresh kale
2 garlic cloves
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup white wine or chicken stock
26 oz chicken stock
1 can cannellini beans 15 oz
1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz
½ cup sun dried tomatoes not packed in oil
¼ teaspoon pepper
- Place the Dutch oven over medium heat and add onions. I like to sprinkle a little black pepper over the sausage and onions. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink and drain into a glass bowl. Do not discard the drippings yet.
- Place the sausage and onions in a different bowl than the drippings.
- Add 1/4 cup of the drippings to the Dutch oven along with the kale until the greens are wilted. Discard the rest of the drippings.
- Add the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of wine or chicken stock for 2 minutes
- Remainder of the stock
- Diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Sausage and onion mixture
- Bring to a boil then reduced heat and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until kale is tender. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Extreme Menu 4 – Family of 4