I like to add multiple kinds of cheese to a grilled cheese sandwich. I like the combined flavors. There is an endless number of combinations. The BEST grilled cheese is made with homemade bread.
A good substitution for butter is mayo. It adds a nice tang to the sandwich. Sometimes I forget to get the butter out of the refrigerator and instead of melting it or trying to spread cold butter onto the bread I will use mayo.
Cost Per Serving $3.12 as of October 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $12.47.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $7.99.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.00.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Equipment needed: 1 frying pan
Total time: 15 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry there will be a savings of about $4.48.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $4.48 as of October 2022
Total: $7.99 as of October 2022
1 loaf fresh bakery bread $3.99
1 block monetary jack cheese $2.00
1 block cheddar cheese 2.00
|8 slices of bread|
|2 tablespoons butter|
|2 cup of cheese|
|1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper|
- Complete prep from prep tab above.
- Preheat oven to 170°F
- Heat a 12” sauté pan on medium
- Butter 8 slices of bread.
- Add two slices of bread butter side down in the sauté pan
- Add 1/4 cup monetary jack cheese to each slice of bread in sauté pan.
- Add 1/4 cup cheddar cheese to each slice of bread in sauté pan.
- Top cheese with bread butter side up and add a dash of pepper to the bread slices.
- Cover the pan with a lid.
- Flip the bread when the bottom is brown about 2-4 minutes for the first side.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on the second side until brown.
- Place on a rack sheet pan then into the oven to keep the sandwiches warm. Continue with the next set. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 5