Cheese Ziti is a simple noodle and cheese dish. It is really a simple mac and cheese with longer noodles than elbow noodles. This recipe is great as a main or served on the side.
I like to make bread crumbs with homemade bread or store bread I keep stored in my freezer. I like the taste and crunch of homemade bread crumbs versus store bought that sometimes has a grit texture.
Cost per serving $3.49 as of May 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $13.95.
If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $8.81.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.20.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Stove & Oven
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1 cup
Equipment needed: 1 large pot for past, 1 sauce pan, 1.5 quart casserole dish with lid
Total time: 1 hour
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry you will save about 5.14.
You can easily change up the cheese in this dish. Sometimes I buy a cheddar and gruyere block or monterey jack cheese. Recipes are just suggestions and a starting point.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $5.14 as of May 2022
Total: $8.81 as of May 2022
ziti pasta 16 oz $0.92
1/2 gallon milk $2.38
1 cheddar cheese 8 oz $2.22
1 loaf bread $0.93
1 grated parmesan cheese $2.36
You can add fresh herbs of your choice to the top to add a freshness to the dish. My personal favorite is flat leaf parsley.
Jazz up the cheese sauce by adding a spice such as: nutmeg, caraway seeds, ground coriander, chipotle chili, spice blends, etc. get creative!
3 cups uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ¾ cup milk
¾ shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
5 slices bread
2 tablespoons melted butter
¼ cup cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Complete prep from prep tab above.
- Bring water to a boil and cook ziti to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a sauce pan melt 1 tablespoon butter then stir in 2 tablespoons of flour until smooth.
- Once the mixture is smooth and you no longer see white flour slowly add milk while stirring constantly. Continue to stir until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Turn off the heat and add cheese until melted.
- Drain cooked pasta and add to the casserole dish. Add the sauce evenly over the pasta. I like to mix it in a little making sure all the noodles have a little sauce.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the 20 minutes is complete, melt 2 tablespoons of butter
- Stir the butter into the bread crumbs then add the mixture to the top of the pasta evenly.
- Broil uncovered for 5-10 minutes or the topping is brown. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 2