Who doesn’t love noodles and cheese? No one I know that is for sure! This recipe is great as a main or served on the side.
I like to make bread crumbs with homemade bread or really cheap bread I keep stored in my freezer. I like the taste and crunch of homemade bread crumbs versus store bought which sometimes has a grit texture.
Stove & Oven
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $13.95 as of May 2022.
- If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $8.81.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1 cup
Equipment needed: 1 large pot for past, 1 sauce pan, 1.5 quart casserole dish with lid
Total time: 1 hour
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry you will save about 5.14.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $5.14 as of May 2022
Total: $8.81 as of May 2022
ziti pasta 16 oz $0.92
1/2 gallon milk $2.38
1 cheddar cheese 8 oz $2.22
1 loaf bread $0.93
1 grated parmesan cheese $2.36
3 cups uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ¾ cup milk
¾ shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
5 slices bread
2 tablespoons melted butter
¼ cup cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Bring water to a boil and cook ziti to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a sauce pan melt 1 tablespoon butter then stir in 2 tablespoons of flour until smooth.
- Once the mixture is smooth and you no longer see white flour slowly add milk while stirring constantly. Continue to stir until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Turn off the heat and add cheese until melted.
- Drain cooked pasta and add to the casserole dish. Add the sauce evenly over the pasta. I like to mix it in a little making sure all the noodles have a little sauce.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the 20 minutes is complete, melt 2 tablespoons of butter
- Stir the butter into the bread crumbs then add the mixture to the top of the pasta evenly.
- Bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes or the topping is brown. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 2 – Family of 2