Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 2 will give you ideas or the exact menu and grocery list for this weeks dinners. Substitute different vegetables if you don’t like the ones I’ve selected. Also, if you don’t like some of the spices found in the recipes substitute them for ones you do like.
All recipes are suggestions. I can’t remember the last time I followed a recipe exactly to how it was written. I use what I have to keep cost down. If I don’t have the pasta it calls for I just make one I do have. If I don’t have the type of beans it suggests I use ones I do have.
A dear friend of ours turned us on to pesto and I will thank her forever for it. I love the one pot chicken pesto dish because it is filling as well as addicting so be sure to set aside your next meal before you start to eat or you might find yourself eating the whole dish!
I am not a huge fan of adding nuts to my dinner dishes so I pick the almonds off of the apricot almond chicken but Andrew loves this dish with almonds. I hope you like this dish as much as we do!
Dinners for the week - About 63.79
Grocery List - Store brand (Metro Detroit)
Prep the week!
I like to gather my storage containers before I start my prep. I love the look of the table with all of the containers and as I make progress the containers disappear leaving me with a sense of accomplishment and encouragement to keep going. This picture is an example of one of my prep weeks.
Storage containers needed:
I like to use a sticky note or paper with a piece of tape to label my prep containers with the name of the meals.
- 3 cup; 1 pound green beans, trimmed. (Side)
- 1/2 cup; 5 green onions (Mongolian Beef)
- 6 cup; 1 pound broccoli, chopped (Chicken Pesto Pasta)
Let's start prepping!
I like to use a vegetable chopper to speed up this process.
- Trim green beans, cut in half, add to container and store in refrigerator.
- Cut green onions in 1 inch pieces add to container and store in refrigerator.
Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Chop broccoli into bite size pieces, add to container and store in refrigerator.
I like to freeze unused pesto in ice cube trays. I simply fill each cube with about 1 teaspoon of pesto. Once the tray is full I freeze for 24 hours then place in a freezer zip bag. This makes it easy to use pesto whenever I need it and best of all I don't waste it.
Tips and Tricks for the weekly meals to go flawlessly!
Always start by reading the recipe all the way through then read my tips. Doing this before you start will help prevent “surprises” along the way.
If I’ve posted it then I have eaten it and called it good. Also, I know that the portions should work because I have done it. No guess work here.
Measuring out your portion might be new for you and still leave you hungry after the meal. This is normal and it will take your body time to adjust. Try these tips:
- Don’t miss your afternoon snack because being ravenous at dinner time will lead to over eating.
- Drink 8 ounces of water before you begin your meal and after you end your meal.
- Eat a salad or raw vegetables with your meal.
- Eat a piece of fruit after a meal like an apple, pear, orange, etc. This will subside the hunger and it’s good for you.
- Wait 1 hour after your meal and if you are still hungry make some pop corn.
- Wash 4 potatoes then cut in half. Add potatoes and green beans to medium bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste then mix.
- Add vegetables to steamer basket. Steam until the potatoes are tender.
- Follow the Grilled Apricot Chicken recipe as directed. Enjoy!
**Be sure to portion out 2 servings of chicken, potatoes and green beans then store in the refrigerator for Tuesday’s dinner.
- Follow recipe as directed.
- Serve with salad. Enjoy!
**Be sure to portion out 2 servings of Chicken Pesto Pasta then store in the refrigerator for Wednesday’s dinner.
Warm the chicken, potatoes, and green beans. Enjoy!
- Prepare the garlic bread
- Warm sausage pasta with vegetables. Enjoy!
- I like to add sugar snap peas to this recipe.
- In step 3 add the sugar snap peas with the green onions.
- Continue with the recipe as directed. Enjoy!
**Be sure to portion out 2 servings of Mongolian beef and broccoli for Saturday’s dinner.
- As the pasta is finishing I prepare the salad. I like to chop up the rest of the green onions and add to the salad. Enjoy!
Warm the Mongolian beef and sugar snap peas. Enjoy!