Mongolian Beef is a great stir-fry sauce and I will often times change up the vegetables I use with the beef. I like to serve this stir-fry with either rice or noodles.
I originally found this recipe in my Taste of Home Light and Tasty 2006 Annual Recipes Cookbook. I like to add some red pepper flakes to the sauce for some spice.
Cost Per Serving $6.39 as of August 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $25.57.
If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost you about $12.29.
- Cost per serving reduces to $3.07.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Stove Top & Rice Maker
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1/4 of beef mixture and 1/2 cup rice
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet and rice cooker or pot to cook rice
Total time: 15 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry it will save you about $13.28.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $13.28 as of August 2022
soy sauce $1.58
hoisin sauce $3.78
sesame oil $3.17
olive oil $2.88
Total: $12.29 as of August 2022
1 pound sirloin steak $9.96
1 can chicken broth 14.5 oz $0.67
1 bunch green onion $0.88
1 - bag brown rice 16 oz $0.78
|1 tablespoon cornstarch|
|3/4 cup chicken broth|
|2 tablespoons soy sauce|
|1 tablespoon hoisin sauce|
|2 teaspoons sesame oil|
|1 pound beef top sirloin steak|
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|5 green onions|
|2 cups hot cooked rice|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Cook 1 cup of rice to package directions.
- Once rice is resting, heat 1.5 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet then sauté beef until no longer pink. Remove the beef and keep warm.
- Add 1.5 teaspoons of olive oil back to the same pan. Sauté the green onions for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Give the sauce one last stir then add to the pan with the green onions. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook for 4 – 5 minutes until thickened stirring occasionally.
- Add beef until warm. Serve with rice or noodles. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 2
Vegetables such as broccoli, snap peas, peppers, frozen peas, etc.