I just started to find Thai recipes that I enjoy. I have am getting braver and have cooked a few at home. I originally found this recipe in my Taste of Home cookbook but it is also available online. I added hot pepper flakes for much needed spice.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $29.16 as of July 2022.
- If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $15.04.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1/4 pan mixture and 1/2 cup rice.
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet or Wok and rice cooker or pot
Total time: 30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry you will save about $14.12.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $14.12 as of July 2022
brown sugar $1.89
peanut butter $3.64
red pepper flakes $1.34
rice vinegar $1.99
sesame oil $2.19
soy sauce $1.58
Total: $15.04 as of July 2022
1 - onion $0.60
1 clove garlic $0.54
8 oz mushrooms $1.98
1 - red pepper $1.38
1 - pound boneless chicken breasts $9.09
1 - can chicken broth 14.5 oz $0.67
1 bag long grain rice $0.78
|2 tablespoons cornstarch|
|1 tablespoon brown sugar|
|1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes|
|1 teaspoon black pepper|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1 can chicken broth 14.5 oz|
|2 tablespoons rice vinegar|
|2 tablespoons soy sauce|
|2 tablespoons peanut butter|
|1 pound boneless chicken|
|2 teaspoons sesame oil|
|1 large onion|
|1 medium red pepper|
|1 cup mushrooms|
|2 garlic cloves|
|2 cups hot rice|
- Heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil in work and sauté chicken until fully cooked.
- Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, onion and red pepper for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add garlic for 1 minute.
- Give your cornstarch mixture one last stir then add to the pan brining to a boil stirring for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and serve rice on the side. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 6 – Family of 2