Lemon Thyme Chicken is one of my mom’s favorite recipes. She is a huge lemon lover and I like to make this for her when she comes to visit. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Light and Tasty 2007 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $5.10 as of May 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $20.38.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $15.52.
- Cost per serving is reduced to $3.88.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1 chicken breast and 3 tablespoons of sauce
Equipment needed: 1 deep skillet, lemon juicer, prep bowls & quarter sheet pan
Total time: 30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry there will be a savings of about $9.85.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $9.85 as of May 2022
1 pound butter $3.58
flour 5 ibs $1.56
olive oil $2.77
dried thyme $1.94
Total: $10.53 as of May 2022
1 - pound boneless chicken breasts $6.93
1 - onion $0.62
1 - can chicken broth $0.67
2 - lemons $1.32
1 - bunch fresh parsley $0.99
|3 tablespoons flour|
|1/2 teasoon salt|
|1/4 teaspoon pepper|
|4 boneless skinless chicken breasts|
|3 teaspoons olive oil|
|1 medium onion|
|1 tablespoon butter|
|1/2 teaspoon dried thyme|
|1 cup chicken broth|
|3 tablespoon lemon juice|
|2 tablespoons fresh parsley|
- Complete prep from the prep tab above.
- In a non-stick skillet with 3 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat sauté chicken for 4-8 minutes (depending on thickness) on each side until the center reaches 165° F. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- I like to place on a plate and cover with tin foil.
- In the same pan melt 1 tablespoon of butter then sauté onion until soft.
- Add the flour and thyme to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until the flour is no longer white.
- Slowly add chicken broth and lemon juice then stir with a wooden spoon bringing to a boil.
- Cook 2-4 minutes until thickened. Serve the sauce over chicken adding a dash of parsley.
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $45 – Menu 5
Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, carrots, etc.
Starches such as potatoes, pasta, rice