Lemon Pepper Breaded Cod is light and crispy with a great lemon flavor. I am not a huge fan of fish but I have been trying to like it for years. I have discovered I like the taste of lemon with fish and I also love tarter sauce. If you are not a huge fan of fish like me, try this recipe to see if it will change your mind.
Cost Per Serving $13.54 as of July 2022
Fish is more expensive than other meats so the cost per serving is a lot higher. It is not really a budget friendly protein.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $27.08.
If you have a stocked pantry this dish will cost you about $14.89.
- Cost per serving reduces to $7.45.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 2
Serving size: 4 oz fish
Equipment needed: 8″ cast iron skillet
Total time: 15 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry you will save about $12.19.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $12.19 as of July 2022
canola oil $3.47
cayenne pepper $1.76
garlic powder $1.00
lemon pepper $1.00
Total: $14.89 as of July 2022
1 jar pickles $1.97
1 medium onion $0.40
12 oz cod $7.99
1/2 dozen eggs $1.75
1 box panko bread crumbs $2.00
1 lemon $0.78
|1/8 cup mayo|
|1 tablespoon diced pickle|
|1 tablespoon diced onion|
|1/8 teaspoon salt|
|1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|1/8 teaspoon paprika powder|
|1/8 teaspoon garlic powder|
|2 pieces of Cod 4 oz each|
|1/4 cup flour|
|1/2 tablespoon water|
|1/2 cup panko bread crumbs|
|3 tablespoons canola oil|
|1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning|
|1 lemon sliced in wedges; optional|
- Complete prep from the prep tab above.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet until nice and hot.
- While the skillet is heating season each side of the fish with 1/4 teaspoon of lemon pepper seasoning.
- Dip the fish in flour, coat evenly and shake off excess flour.
- Dip the fish in the egg wash on both sides.
- Dip the fish in the panko, coating the fish evenly; set aside.
- Repeat with the next piece of fish.
- Place both pieces of fish in the oil and cook for 4 – 5 minutes per side until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Top the fish with lemon zest and squeeze a little lemon juice over the fish. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 6