This is a wonderfully balanced meal with the perfect amount of southwestern spices. Sometimes I take the filling and make burritos with the leftovers to change it up a little.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $22.87 as of July 2022.
- If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $17.71.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 8
Serving size: 1 ~ 1/3 cup
Equipment needed: 1 Crock-Pot and Rice Cooker or Pot to cook rice.
Total time: 6-8 hours
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. There is about $5.16 savings if you have a stocked pantry.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $5.16 as of July 2022
ground chipotle pepper $1.94
ground cumin $1.28
smoked paprika $1.94
Total: $17.71 as of July 2022
1 - onion $0.40
2 - green peppers $1.56
1 - bulb of garlic $0.52
1.5 pounds boneless chicken breasts $9.09
1 - can diced tomatoes & green chilies $0.72
1 - can diced tomatoes $0.72
1 - bag long grain brown or white rice $0.78
1 - can black beans 15 oz $.78
1 - block cheddar cheese $2.00
1 - sour cream $1.16
|1.5 pounds boneless chicken|
|1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies 14.5 oz|
|1 can diced tomatoes 15 oz|
|2 medium green peppers|
|1 medium onion|
|1 garlic clove|
|1 teaspoon smoked paprika|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper|
|6 cups cooked brown rice|
|1 can black beans 15 oz|
|1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese|
|1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream|
- Press the chicken into the center of the crock-pot with a utensil.
- Place cock-pot on low for 6 – 8 hours.
- About 45 minutes before you are ready to eat cook brown rice to package directions.
- When you are ready to serve remove chicken to a plate and shred with two forks. Add shredded chicken back to the crock-pot.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and add them to the crock-pot
- Add the cooked rice to the crock-pot. Stir well.
- Serve chicken and rice mixture with shredded cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Extreme Menu 1 – Family of 4