Spinach Turkey Sausage Pasta taste so fresh because it is so simple. Be careful not to let the spinach cook for too long or it will disappear. I like to use spicy sausage and whole wheat noodles.
I like to add extra spice by buying spicy Italian sausage or adding hot pepper flakes to the sausage when it is browning. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2013 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $4.20 as of July 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $16.79.
If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $15.45.
- Cost per serving reduces to $3.86.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1.5 cups
Equipment needed: Pot, Dutch oven
Total time: 30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
There is a savings of about $1.34 if you have a stocked pantry.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $1.34 as of July 2022
red pepper flakes $1.34
Total: $15.45 as of July 2022
1 - garlic bulb $0.54
1 - box whole wheat penne pasta $2.29
1 - pound Italian turkey sausage $4.99
1 - pound mushrooms $1.98
1 - can fire roasted tomatoes $0.92
1 - package baby spinach, 6 oz $2.73
1 - bag or block mozzarella cheese 8 oz $2.00
|1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|2 cups whole wheat penne, uncooked|
|1 pound Italian turkey sausage links|
|1 pound fresh mushrooms|
|1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz|
|1 package baby spinach, 6 oz|
|1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Bring pot of water to boil and cook 2 cups of pasta to package directions.
- In the Dutch oven cook sausage, red pepper flakes (if using) and mushrooms breaking the sausage into bite size chunks.
- When turkey is 165° F drain if needed. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil then add spinach until the spinach is barely wilted and turn off heat.
- Drain pasta and add to the turkey mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 1