I first found this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook but you can also find it online. I like to add extra spice by buying spicy Italian sausage or adding hot pepper flakes to the sausage when it is browning.
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $16.79 as of July 2022.
- If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $15.45.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1.5 cups
Equipment needed: Pot, Dutch oven
Total time: 30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
There is a savings of about $1.34 if you have a stocked pantry.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $1.34 as of July 2022
red pepper flakes $1.34
Total: $15.45 as of July 2022
1 - garlic bulb $0.54
1 - box whole wheat penne pasta $2.29
1 - pound Italian turkey sausage $4.99
1 - pound mushrooms $1.98
1 - can fire roasted tomatoes $0.92
1 - package baby spinach, 6 oz $2.73
1 - bag or block mozzarella cheese 8 oz $2.00
|1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|2 cups whole wheat penne, uncooked|
|1 pound Italian turkey sausage links|
|1 pound fresh mushrooms|
|1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz|
|1 package baby spinach, 6 oz|
|1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese|
- Bring pot of water to boil and cook 2 cups of pasta to package directions.
- In the Dutch oven cook sausage, red pepper flakes (if using) and mushrooms breaking the sausage into bite size chunks.
- When turkey is 165° F drain if needed. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil then add spinach until the spinach is barely wilted and turn off heat.
- Drain pasta and add to the turkey mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Menu 1 – Family of 2