As a kid my dad made Pork Chops and Scalloped Potatoes and it was one of my favorite childhood dishes. His recipe is made with canned cream soup. I found this lighter recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2011 Annual Recipes Cookbook. It is very close to his without the cream soup. I love to sop up the gravy with a piece of bread. Check out our homemade Yogurt Bread with Wheat Germ.
Cost Per Serving $5.37 as of July 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $32.49.
If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $21.10.
- Cost per serving is reduced to $3.52.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Crock-Pot & Stove Top
Recipe serves: 6
Serving size: 1 pork chop
Equipment needed: crock-pot and fry pan
Total time: 8 – 10 hours
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
There is about a $11.39 savings for a well stocked pantry.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $11.39 as of July 2022
season all salt $1.82
canola oil $3.47
Total: $21.10 as of July 2022
6 bone-in pork chops $12.41
1 bag potatoes 5 pound $2.88
1 bag onions 3 pound $3.38
1 can chicken broth 14.5 oz $0.67
1/2 gallon milk $1.76
|4 medium potatoes|
|6 bone in pork chops|
|1/2 teaspoon season all salt|
|1 tablespoon canola oil|
|2 large onions|
|2 teaspoons butter|
|3 tablespoons flour|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1/4 teaspoon pepper|
|1 can chicken broth 14.5 oz|
|1 cup milk|
- Complete prep from prep tab above.
- Season each side of the pork chop lightly with season all salt
- Heat a skillet with 1/2 tablespoon canola oil and 3 brown pork chops 1 – 2 minutes per side. Place browned pork chops on the potatoes.
- Add the other 1/2 tablespoon canola oil and brown the rest of the pork chops 1 – 2 minutes per side. Place browned pork chops on the potatoes.
- Sauté the onions with a dash of salt and pepper for 3 – 5 minutes until they are tender and brown. Spread onions and drippings evenly over pork chops.
- Add 2 teaspoons of butter to the pan then slowly pour in the broth and flour mixture. Cook for 4 – 5 minutes. Slowly add the milk and bring to a boil for 4 – 5 minutes until thickened.
- The sauce will thin over the cooking time.
- Pour sauce over the onions, pork and potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8 – 10 hours. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $70 – Menu 1
Vegetables such as corn, green beans, broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc.