Roasted Vegetable Tomato Sauce with Pasta is a wonderful meal. I have added a variety of vegetables to change up the sauce. It is easier to get kids to eat their vegetables if they are blended or mixed into sauces. Our homemade garlic parmesan bread pairs well with this dish.
I don’t like my sauces too sweet so I add 1/4 teaspoon of sugar and if it still taste too sour (acidic) then I add another 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. If you like dishes that are high in acidity then do not add the sugar.
Cost Per Serving $2.57 as of July 2022
If you have zero ingredients then this recipe will cost about $15.40.
If you have a stocked pantry this dish will cost about $6.61.
- Cost per serving reduces to $1.10..
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Stove Top & Oven
Recipe serves: 6
Serving Size: About 1 cup pasta and 1 cup of sauce
Equipment needed: 1 pot for pasta, 1 sauté pan and 1 sheet pan.
Total time: 40 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry you will save $8.79.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $8.79 as of July 2022
dried basil $1.00
olive oil $2.88
dried oregano $1.00
red pepper flakes $1.34
Total: $6.61 as of July 2022
1 onion $0.40
1 bulb garlic $0.52
1 zucchini $0.81
1 mushrooms 8 oz $1.98
1 box small shell pasta 16 oz $0.92
1 can diced tomatoes 28 oz $0.98
1 can tomato paste 6 oz $0.62
1 can tomato sauce 8 oz $0.38
|2 garlic cloves|
|1 cup mushrooms|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1 teaspoon pepper|
|1/2 tablespoon olive oil|
|3 cups dry pasta small shells (12 oz)|
|1 can diced tomatoes 28 oz|
|1 can tomato paste 6 oz|
|1 can tomato sauce 8 oz|
|1 ~ 1/2 teaspoon dried basil|
|1 ~ 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/2 teaspoon sugar|
|1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Once oven is preheated add vegetables and roast for 10 minutes stir then continue to roast for 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- While water is heating up, add to the 12″ skillet:
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 ~ 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 ~ 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar ( I prefer 1/4 teaspoon)
- Bring sauce to a low simmer and stir occasionally.
- Once vegetables are cooked puree them with 8 oz of tomato sauce. Add the puree to the tomato sauce and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Cook the noodles to package directions. Once the noodles are cooked dinner is done. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $70 – Menu 1