Five Cheese Small Shells is great if I am cooking for a crowd with children. I like taking different vegetables and mixing them into the layered pasta dish.
Cost Per Serving $2.78 as of April 2022
If you have zero ingredients then this recipe will cost about $22.23.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $17.50.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.19.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Stove Top & Oven
Recipe serves: 8
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Equipment needed: 1 pot for pasta, 1 sauté pan and 1 baking dish 13×9 inch.
Total time: 90 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a fully stocked pantry there will be a savings of about $4.73.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $4.73 as of April 2022
olive oil $2.77
italian seasoning $0.98
red pepper flakes $0.98
Total: $17.50 as of April 2022
1 zucchini $0.81
1 portobello mushrooms 8 oz $3.29
1 onion $0.62
1 bulb garlic $0.48
1 box small pasta shells 16 oz $0.92
1 tub ricotta cheese 15 oz $2.12
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese $1.98
1 jar marinara sauce 24 oz $1.88
1 bag sliced provolone $1.84
1 tub grated parmesan romano cheese $1.98
1 container of eggs 1/2 dozen $1.58
1 box small pasta shells 16 oz.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium zucchini
8 oz portobello mushrooms
1 medium onion
2 cups ricotta cheese
½ cup mozzarella cheese
½ cup provolone cheese
3/4 cup grated parmesan romano cheese, divided
2 teaspoons italian seasoning
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
24 oz meatless spaghetti sauce
2 garlic cloves
- Complete prep from prep step above.
- Start a large pot of water and cook 1 pound small pasta shells to al dente.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Heat a sauté pan then add:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- shredded zucchini
- Cook until onions are soft about 4 – 5 minutes
- Add garlic for 1 minute
- Remove from heat
- Drain the pasta
- Add 1.5 cups of pasta sauce to the bottom of the pan then:
- add ½ the noodles
- top the noodles with sautéed vegetables spreading evenly
- top the vegetables with the cheese mixture spreading evenly
- top the cheese mixture with torn slices of provolone cheese
- add the rest of the noodles over the cheese
- add the remainder of the sauce to the top spreading evenly
- sprinkle ¼ cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano over the sauce.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes then uncovered for 10 minutes longer. Rest for 15 minutes.
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 4 under $100 – Menu 7