I am not the largest fan of quinoa but found this recipe when I was working my through The Skinny Taste Cookbook and thought why not give it a try. With most recipes I cannot try them as they are. I think of a recipe as a starting place then I add or take things out to fit our tastes. I can honestly say I did not modify this one too much.
I highly recommend The Skinny Taste Cookbook to anyone who is cooking light but loves big flavors.
If you have zero ingredients then this recipe will cost about $20.01 as of April 2022.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 4
Equipment needed: 1 roasting pan and 1 medium pot
Total time: 70 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices.
Pantry & Spices
olive oil 17 fl oz $2.77
2 red peppers $2.76
1 bulb garlic $0.48
1 onion $0.62
1 bag spinach 6 oz $2.73
1 bunch of fresh basil $1.98
1 bag quinoa 16 oz $2.97
1 can vegetable broth $0.67
1 can crushed tomato 14.5 oz $0.69
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese $1.98
1 parmesan romano cheese $1.98
|½ cup quinoa|
|1 can vegetable broth 14.5 oz.|
|1 teaspoon olive oil|
|2 garlic cloves, chopped|
|1 can crushed tomatoes 14.5 oz.|
|⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese|
|½ cup baby spinach|
|2 tablespoons fresh basil|
|½ cup mozzarella cheese|
|2 large red bell peppers|
|¼ teaspoon oregano|
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare ½ cup quinoa per package directions using vegetable broth instead of water. Be sure to rinse uncooked quinoa before putting it in a pot.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium heat and sauté onion until soft 4 – 5 min.
- Add garlic for 1 minute then add the bowl of tomatoes and spices. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat then add to the tomato mixture:
- cooked quinoa
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- ½ cup baby spinach
- fresh basil
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- Add ½ cup mixture to each pepper.
- Top each pepper with:
- 1 teaspoon grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake for 45 – 50 minutes
This recipe can also be found in Menu 6 – Family of 4