Weekly Dinners for 4 under $70 – Menu 2 will give you ideas or the exact menu and grocery list for this weeks dinners. Substitute different vegetables if you don’t like the ones I’ve selected. Also, if you don’t like some of the spices found in the recipes substitute them for ones you do like.
All recipes are suggestions. I can’t remember the last time I followed a recipe exactly to how it was written. I use what I have to keep cost down. If I don’t have the pasta it calls for I just make one I do have. If I don’t have the type of beans it suggests I use ones I do have.
Andrew asked me to start a new segment of balanced meals but at a lower cost. I know some of you are paying down/off debt while trying to navigate the rising cost of food. I realize that there is not a lot of variety in these menus but the more items I add the higher the bill. I will do my best to keep cost down while continuing with healthy well rounded dinners for your families.
Dinners for the week - About $61.14
Grocery List - Store brand (Metro Detroit)
Prep the week!
I like to gather my storage containers before I start my prep. I love the look of the table with all of the containers and as I make progress the containers disappear leaving me with a sense of accomplishment and encouragement to keep going. This picture is an example of one of my prep weeks.
Storage containers needed:
I like to use a sticky note or paper with a piece of tape to label my prep containers with the name of the meals.
- 1/4 cup; garlic cloves
- 2 cup; large onion (Crockpot Chicken)
- 2 cup; onion and green pepper (Egg Burrito)
- 1 cup; onion (Enchilada Casser-Ole)
- 6 cup; brussel sprouts (Side)
- 6 cup; green beans (Side, Tomato Green Bean Garden Pasta)
Let's start prepping!
I like to use a vegetable chopper to speed up this process.
- Peel 4 garlic cloves; refrigerate.
- Trim bottom of brussels sprouts, slice in half and do not wash; refrigerate.
- Chop 1 onion and place in a container; refrigerate.
Everyday Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Cut 1 large onion into quarters
- Chop 1 onion and place in a container; set aside.
- Chop 1 green pepper and place in the container with the onion; refrigerate.
Tomato Green Bean Garden Pasta
- Trim green beans, chop into 1 inch pieces and do not wash; refrigerate.
Tips and Tricks for the weekly meals to go flawlessly!
Always start by reading the recipe all the way through then read my tips. Doing this before you start will help prevent “surprises” along the way.
If I’ve posted it then I have eaten it and called it good. Also, I know that the portions should work because I have done it. No guess work here. Measuring out your portion might be new for you and still leave you hungry after the meal. This is normal and it will take your body time to adjust. Try these tips:
- Don’t miss your afternoon snack because being ravenous at dinner time will lead to over eating.
- Drink 8 ounces of water before you begin your meal and after you end your meal.
- Eat a salad or raw vegetables with your meal.
- Eat a piece of fruit after a meal like an apple, pear, orange, etc. This will subside the hunger and it’s good for you.
- Wait 1 hour after your meal and if you are still hungry make some pop corn.
- Follow the Pulled Pork recipe as directed.
In the evening:
- Set oven to 425°F
- Wash and chop 8 potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Then add to a sheet pan.
- Wash the brussel sprouts then add to a different sheet pan.
- Add to each sheet pan:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- mix well.
- Roast potatoes and sprouts in the same oven for 15 minutes then stir. Roast for additional 15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
**Be sure to set aside 4 servings of pulled pork, potatoes & sprouts for Tuesday night’s dinner
- Gather all ingredients
- Follow the Bean Stacked Tortilla recipe as directed.
- When you are ready to layer in step 1 start preheating the oven.
- When you uncover the enchilada cook the corn.
- Boil water
- Add 4 cups of corn for 4 minutes
- Slice the enchilada into 8 pieces and serve with corn. Enjoy!
**Be sure to set ½ casserole aside and 4 servings of corn for Wednesday night’s dinner.
Warm the pork, potatoes and sprouts. Enjoy!
Warm the enchilada casserole & corn. Enjoy!
- Follow the Green Pepper and Onion Egg Burrito recipe as directed.
- Serve with salsa Enjoy!
Warm Chicken then serve with pasta. Enjoy!