I love spaghetti! I am not a fan of the premade grocery store options that are high in sugar. Andrew and I have experimented several times over the years making different sauces and the one included below is one of our favorites and we hope you agree!
Dinners for the week
- Smoked Sausage
- Vegetable Rice Skillet
- BBQ Pulled Pork
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brussel Sprouts
- Pan Seared Chicken
- Leftover Vegetable Rice Skillet
- Leftover BBQ Pulled Pork
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brussel Sprouts
Grocery List - Store brand (Metro Detroit)
Prep the week!
I like to gather my storage containers before I start my prep. I love the look of the table with all of the containers and as I make progress the containers disappear leaving me with a sense of accomplishment and encouragement to keep going. This picture is an example of one of my prep weeks.
Storage containers needed:
- ¼ cup; 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups; 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup; 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 cups; cauliflower, chopped
- 3 cups; broccoli, chopped
- 6 cups; brusel sprouts, cut in half
- 6 cups; green beans, trimmed
Let’s start chopping!
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 medium onion (2 cups), chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled, sliced thin
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped bite size
- ½ pound broccoli, chopped bite size. Do not rinse
- 24 ounces brussel sprouts, stem removed cut in half. Do not rinse
- 32 ounces green beans, trimmed and halved. Do not rinse.
Tips and Tricks for the weekly meals to go flawlessly!
Always start by reading the recipe all the way through then read my tips. Doing this before you start will help prevent “surprises” along the way.
If I’ve posted it then I have eaten it and called it good. Also, I know that the portions should work because I have done it. No guess work here.
Two sheet pans and one crock pot: 10 hours
Recipe Serves: 8
Portion Size: 4 ounces of pork, 1 sweet potato & 1/2 cup brussel sprouts
In the morning:
- Season roast all over with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add 1 cup water and roast to the crock pot.
- Turn on low.
In the evening:
- Preheat oven 425°F
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash 8 potatoes then pierce with a fork all over.
- Rub skin lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add potatoes to baking sheet then bake for 25 minutes.
- After the potatoes are in the oven rinse the brussel sprouts.
- Add brussel sprouts and 1 tablespoon of oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well and set aside until they are ready to be placed in the oven.
- Flip potatoes after 25 minutes and add sheet pan of brussel sprouts cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir sprouts and cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Potatoes will be done cooking when a fork is easily inserted into the center. If they are not done, then cook in 10 minute increments.
- Serve pork with BBQ sauce. Enjoy!
**Set aside 4 servings of meat, potatoes and brussel sprouts for leftovers on Tuesday!
One deep skillet and One fry pan: 30 min.
Rice Recipe Serves: 8 Sausage Recipe Serves: 4 Salad Serves 8
Portion Size: 3.5 ounces of sausage and 3/4 cup vegetable rice
Gather all the ingredients.
Prep to cook
Mince 2 garlic cloves then put in a small prep bowl; set aside.
Chop 2 tablespoons parsley then put in a small prep bowl; set aside.
- Slice the sausage into bite size pieces then set aside.
Follow the recipe as directed. Keep an eye on the rice. I usually check after 15 minutes to ensure there is enough liquid and the rice is not burning.
When the vegetable rice is 5 minutes from being cooked then add sausage to a nonstick frying pan on medium high heat. Cook until brown and caramelized.
Serve with a side salad. Enjoy!
Set aside 4 servings of rice vegetables and salad for leftovers on Wednesday!
- Warm Pork, sweet potatoes & brussel sprouts. Enjoy!
1 fry pan: 15 min.
Leftover Rice Recipe Serves: 4 Chicken Recipe Serves: 4 Salad Serves 4
Portion Size: 4 ounces of chicken and 3/4 cup vegetable rice
- Heat pan with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Season both sides of chicken with lemon pepper seasoning.
- Flatten chicken until all pieces are the same thickness so it cooks evenly.
- Cook chicken 4-6 minutes per side depending on thickness and chicken is 165° F.
- Warm vegetable rice and serve with side salad. Enjoy!
1 deep frying pan and 1 large pot
Spaghetti Recipe Serves: 8 Green Beans Serves: 8 Spinach Salad Serves: 8
Portion Size: 3/4 cup noodles, 1/2 cup sauce, 1/2 cup green beans & spinach salad.
- Fill pot full of water and turn it on to boil.
- Gather all the ingredients
- Prep to cook
- Mince 2 garlic cloves then put in a prep bowl; set aside.
- Wash and chop mushrooms
- Remove 1/2 cup spinach and store in the refrigerator for a different meal. Place the rest of the spinach in a salad bowl.
- Chop cucumber and carrots and add to spinach.
- Add green beans to sheet pan. Mix with 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Add the ground turkey to a deep pan with the onion, mushrooms and Italian seasoning. Cook until the meat is 165°F. Drain then add the garlic and cook for 1 -2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering. Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Roast the green beans for 15 minutes.
- After the green beans are in the oven add the noodles to the pot of water.
- Once the noodles are cooked add them to the sauce.
- Serve with green beans and spinach salad. Enjoy!
1 casserole dish with lid and 1 large pot
Stuffed Pepper Recipe Serves: 4 Boiled Broccoli & Cauliflower: 4
Portion Size: 1/2 pepper and 1/2 cup steamed broccoli & cauliflower
- Prep to cook
- Rinse broccoli and cauliflower
- Follow the recipe as directed
- When the peppers are 15 minutes from being done bring a pot of water to boil on the stove.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower for 5 minutes.
- Drain and season with salt and pepper.
Warm spaghetti, green beans & serve with spinach salad.