Do people really grill in the winter months with snow on the ground? Yes, we do and it is worth it. I find myself getting the winter blues about February. Grilling really helps get me through the last few months of winter. I pick a day that is free from precipitation, temperature above 20° F, and little to no wind then fire up the grill. If you live in a cold climate I encourage you to give this a try!
Dinners for the week - About $68.27
Grocery List - Store brand (Metro Detroit)
Prep the week!
I like to gather my storage containers before I start my prep. I love the look of the table with all of the containers and as I make progress the containers disappear leaving me with a sense of accomplishment and encouragement to keep going. This picture is an example of one of my prep weeks.
Storage containers needed:
- 3 cup; carrots (Side)
- 3 cup; green beans (Side)
- ¼ cup; 4 peeled garlic
- 3 cup; 1 large onion & 1 red pepper (Thai Restaurant Chicken)
- 2 cup; 1 medium onion & 1 jalapeno (Vegetarian Bean Taco)
Let's start prepping!
- Peel and slice 4 carrots 2 inches long. Make sure the thickness is even or slice them in half for even cooking; refrigerate.
- Trim green beans but do not wash; refrigerate.
- Peel 4 garlic cloves; refrigerate.
Thai Restaurant Chicken
- Wash and slice 1 red pepper then place in storage container; set aside.
- Slice 1 large onion (1.5 cups) then place in same container with red pepper; refrigerate.
Vegetarian Bean Taco
- Dice 1 medium onion (1 cup) then place in storage container; set aside.
- Wash and thinly chop jalapeno (wear disposable gloves) then place in same container with chopped onion; refrigerate.
Tips and Tricks for the weekly meals to go flawlessly!
Always start by reading the recipe all the way through then read my tips. Doing this before you start will help prevent “surprises” along the way.
If I’ve posted it then I have eaten it and called it good. Also, I know that the portions should work because I have done it. No guess work here. Measuring out your portion might be new for you and still leave you hungry after the meal. This is normal and it will take your body time to adjust. Try these tips:
- Don’t miss your afternoon snack because being ravenous at dinner time will lead to over eating.
- Drink 8 ounces of water before you begin your meal and after you end your meal.
- Eat a salad or raw vegetables with your meal.
- Eat a piece of fruit after a meal like an apple, pear, orange, etc. This will subside the hunger and it’s good for you.
- Wait 1 hour after your meal and if you are still hungry make some pop corn.
- Start the Grill and aim for 375° F.
- Prep to cook sides:
- Wash 4 small potatoes and wrap in tin foil.
- Add carrots to a tin foil packet with:
- ½ tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper to the carrots. Mix well and seal packet; set aside.
- Follow pork steak recipe
- Once grill is preheated add the potatoes, carrots and the steak to the grill.
- When you turn the pork steak also turn the potatoes and carrot packet.
- Once pork is resting continue cooking vegetables.
- Potatoes and carrots will be done cooking when a fork can easily be inserted to the center of the vegetables. Enjoy!
**Be sure to set aside 1 pork steak, 2 potatoes, and half the carrots for Tuesday nights dinner.
- Follow the recipe as directed.
- Place prepared salad bag in a bowl. Enjoy!
**Be sure to set aside 2 servings of stir fry and 1 cup of rice for Wednesday nights dinner.
Warm Pork Steak, Potatoes & Carrots. Enjoy!
- Wet a paper towel and squeeze dry then place over rice.
- Warm stir fry & rice.
- Serve with side salad. Enjoy!
- Follow recipe as directed.
- lettuce, tomato, avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and salsa
- Chop the remainder of the lettuce and be sure to wash it then add:
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced carrot
- Sliced tomato
- I like to combine some of the sides into a side salad. Enjoy!
**Be sure to set aside ½ of taco mixture for dinner on Saturday.
- Gather ingredients
- Scrub two potatoes and place in a steamer basket. Make sure pot has 1 inch of water in the bottom.
- Rinse the green beans then add them to the potatoes and place on medium heat.
- Prep to Cook
- Make your dipping sauce from the recipe for the fish.
- Slice the lemon if using.
- After potatoes and green beans have been cooking for 15 minutes start your fish.
- Follow the recipe as directed. Enjoy!
- Gather toppings and tortilla
- Toppings: lettuce, tomato, avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and salsa
- I like to combine some of the sides into a side salad.
- Warm bean mixture. Enjoy!