Italian Hot Dish is a simple and delicious baked pasta. If I am feeling a little spicy I will add a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies as well as red pepper flakes. Experiment with ingredients you like!
I originally found this recipe in my Taste of Home Light and Tasty 2007 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $4.96 as of July 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $19.82.
If you have a fully stocked pantry this dish will cost about $15.86.
- Cost per serving reduces to $3.97.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Stove Top and Oven
Recipe serves: 4
Serving size: 1/4 of dish
Equipment needed: large pot, skillet, 8″ baking dish
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry you will save about $3.96.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $3.96 as of July 2022
garlic powder $0.98
onion powder $0.98
dried oregano $1.00
dried basil $1.00
Total: $15.86 as of July 2022
1 - box small shell pasta $0.92
1 - green pepper $0.78
1 - pound ground beef $5.88
1 - onion $0.40
1 - sliced mushrooms $1.98
1 - can tomato sauce 15 oz $0.72
1 - block mozzarella cheese $2.00
1 - parmesan cheese $3.18
|1 ~ 1/2 cups small pasta shells, uncooked|
|1 pound ground beef|
|1 cup sliced mushrooms, divided|
|1/2 cup chopped onion|
|1/2 cup chopped green pepper|
|1 can tomato sauce 15 oz|
|1 teaspoon dried basil|
|1 teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/2 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1/4 teaspoon onion powder|
|1/4 teaspoon kosher salt|
|1/4 teaspoon pepper|
|1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided|
|4 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese, divided|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Cook 1.5 cups of pasta to package directions
- Brown beef and vegetables until the beef is brown; drain if needed.
- Add the tomato sauce and spices then bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Spray the 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray or use oil with a napkin. Then add in this order:
- Drain and add the pasta.
- Meat sauce.
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes then uncover and add 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese.
- Continue to bake uncovered for 5 – 10 minutes. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $45 – Menu 1