Cheeseburger Macaroni takes me back to being a collage kid learning how to cook. I would take a box of beefaroni cook it up and call it dinner for a few days. This is a grownup healthier version of that dish.
I originally found this recipe in my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2014 Annual Recipes Cookbook.
Cost Per Serving $3.23 as of October 2022
If you have ZERO ingredients then this recipe will cost about $19.39.
If you have a stocked pantry this recipe will cost about $13.69.
- Cost per serving reduces to $2.28.
I am assuming you have salt and pepper and do not add it into the recipe total cost.
Recipe serves: 6
Serving size: 1 ~ 1/3 cups
Equipment needed: 1 large skillet
Total time: 30 minutes
Let's grocery shop!
I am assuming you have salt and pepper. It is not included in pantry and spices. If you have a stocked pantry you will save about $5.70.
Pantry & Spices
Total: $5.70 as of October 2022
montreal steak seasoning $2.33
onion powder $1.00
Total: $13.69 as of October 2022
1 pound ground beef $5.57
1 onion $0.78
1 garlic bulb $0.54
1 box small elbow pasta $0.92
1 box beef broth 32 oz $1.33
1/2 gallon milk $1.67
1 block cheddar cheese $2.00
1 bunch green onions $0.88
|1 pound ground beef|
|1 garlic clove|
|8 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni|
|3 cups reduced sodium beef broth|
|3/4 cup fat free milk|
|3 tablespoon katsup|
|2 teaspoons montreal steeak seasonion|
|1 teaspoon mustard|
|1/4 teaspoon onion powder|
|1 cup shredded cheddar cheese|
|2 green onions|
- Complete the prep from the prep tab above.
- Cook beef and onion until browned crumbling into small pieces. Drain if needed.
- Add garlic to beef cooking for 1 minute.
- Add to beef and bring to boil:
- 8 oz macaroni
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Reduce heat leave uncovered 10 – 15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and top with green onions. Enjoy!
This recipe can also be found in Weekly Dinners for 2 under $45 – Menu 3
Vegetables such as green beans, peas, corn, broccoli, etc.