Andrew asked me to start a new segment of balanced meals but at a lower cost. I know some of you are paying down/off debt while trying to navigate the rising cost of food. I realize that there is not a lot of variety in these menus but the more items I add the higher the bill. I will do my best to keep cost down while continuing with healthy well rounded dinners for your families.
Dinners for the week - About $34.60
Grocery List - Store brand (Metro Detroit)
Prep the week!
I like to gather my storage containers before I start my prep. I love the look of the table with all of the containers and as I make progress the containers disappear leaving me with a sense of accomplishment and encouragement to keep going. This picture is an example of one of my prep weeks.
Storage containers needed:
I like to use a sticky note or paper with a piece of tape to label my prep containers with the name of the meals.
- ¼ cup; garlic clove
- 6 cup; brussels sprouts (Side)
- 3 cup; onion, green pepper and jalapeno (Chili over Pasta)
- 4 cup; onion; yellow pepper; zucchini (Zucchini Turkey Skillet)
Let's start prepping!
I like to use a vegetable chopper to speed up this process.
- Peel 5 garlic cloves.
- Trim bottom of sprouts, cut in half and do not wash; refrigerate
Zucchini Turkey Skillet
- Chop 2 zucchini then place in a 4 cup container; set aside.
- Chop 1 onion then place in a 4 cup container with zucchini; set aside.
- Chop 1 yellow pepper and add to 4 cup container with onion and zucchini; refrigerate
Chili over Noodles
- Chop 1 onion then place in a 3 cup container; set aside.
- Chop 1 green pepper and add to 3 cup container with 1 chopped onion; set aside
- Chop 1 jalapeno pepper and add to 1 chopped onion and green pepper; refrigerate
Tips and Tricks for the weekly meals to go flawlessly!
Always start by reading the recipe all the way through then read my tips. Doing this before you start will help prevent “surprises” along the way.
If I’ve posted it then I have eaten it and called it good. Also, I know that the portions should work because I have done it. No guess work here. Measuring out your portion might be new for you and still leave you hungry after the meal. This is normal and it will take your body time to adjust. Try these tips:
- Don’t miss your afternoon snack because being ravenous at dinner time will lead to over eating.
- Drink 8 ounces of water before you begin your meal and after you end your meal.
- Eat a salad or raw vegetables with your meal.
- Eat a piece of fruit after a meal like an apple, pear, orange, etc. This will subside the hunger and it’s good for you.
- Wait 1 hour after your meal and if you are still hungry make some pop corn.
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425° F
- Prep to cook:
- Wash 4 potatoes and cut in half
- Wash sprouts and place on a sheet pan. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Place potatoes and 1 peeled garlic clove in a pot of water then set on med-high for 20 minutes.
- Roast sprouts for 10 minutes, stir then roast for additional 10 minutes.
- After the sprouts are in the oven start the Dijon-Crusted Chicken Breasts.
- Follow the recipe as directed.
- Place the cooked potatoes, garlic, 3 tablespoon milk, ½ tablespoon butter in a bowl and mash. Serve with sprouts and chicken. Enjoy!
- Serve with sour cream. Enjoy!
**Be sure to set aside 2 cups of Chili and 1 cup of noodles aside for dinner on Wednesday.
Warm chicken, potatoes and sprouts. Enjoy!
- Warm the chili and noodles. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 425° F
- Gather all the ingredients
- Prep to cook
- Rinse and chop 6 potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces then put them on a sheet pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
- Roast potatoes for 10 minutes, stir then roast for additional 10 minutes. Potatoes will be done when they are fork tender.
- Follow the recipe as directed. Enjoy!
**Be sure to set aside 4 cups of Zucchini Turkey Skillet and 2 cups of Roasted Potatoes for dinner on Friday and Saturday.
- Warm Zucchini Turkey Skillet and Roasted Potatoes.
**Be sure to set aside 2 cups of Zucchini Turkey Skillet and 1 cup of Roasted Potatoes for dinner on Saturday.
Warm Zucchini Turkey Skillet and Roasted Potatoes. Enjoy!